"We wanted to increase our production capabilities and we wanted to make sure the investment we made would meet our needs for the next 25 years," Dempsey notes.
"We also wanted to install a high-production plant in a way that would lower our operating costs and we were able to accomplish that by eliminating some wear parts (bucket elevators and conveyor systems), which minimizes our long-term maintenance costs," he says.
As Dempsey notes, Lakeside is very familiar with high-performing plants, owning and operating numerous Gencor, Astec and Dillman plants.
"On this installation we decided to go with the Dillman 400-tph DuoDrum because we felt it was the plant that would serve our needs and we felt confident it would be backed by the service we expected," Dempsey says.
Components of Lakeside's new Monroe plant include:
Virgin Cold Feed System
- Eight 9' x 14' cold feed bins with 36-inch self-contained collector conveyor
- A 5' x 14' Deister double deck aggregate screen
- A 36" x 90' aggregate scale conveyor
- Two 10' x 15' recycle bins with 36-inch self-contained collector conveyor
- A 5' x 14' Deister double-deck recycle screen
- A 30" x 86' adjustable recycle scale conveyor
- A 50-ton DEI crusher
- A 30" x 50" closed-loop recycle access conveyor
- A 9' 6" x 40' aggregate dryer assembly with a Hauck Low NOx EcoStar ESII oil or gas burner
- DuoDrum Mixing System
- A 400-tph Model 9020 Duo-Drum Mixer assembly with gravity inlet chute
- An 88,000-cfm four module reverse pulse baghouse with ancillary equipment
Dust Handling Equipment
- A 16" x 36' dust auger
- A 16-inch rotary airlock with AC drive
- A 40-hp air blower
- Model AS400 Atmospheric Silo
- A 16" x 24' dust auger
- A 12' x 40' 10" Model 124010 two-room split-control module
Mix Handling Equipment
- Three 300-ton storage silos that will give Lakeside the flexibility of producing multiple mix designs to meet the daily needs of its own paving crews, as well as the needs of independent local customers.
- A 400-tph x 112' main slat conveyor with reject gate
- A 400-tph x 32' three-way horizontal transfer conveyor
Tanks and Heaters
- Three 30,000-gallon vertical single compartment AC tanks
- A 2 million BTU heater
- A motor control center for tank farm
"The DuoDrum (with separate dryer and mixing drums) also lent itself to the elevated gravity feed system we wanted to accomplish in order to eliminate parts that require maintenance," Dempsey states.
"With an elevated dryer drum feeding directly into the mixing drum below you can eliminate a bucket elevator and sweep points that are high-wear maintenance items," he adds.
The same holds true for how the mixing drum empties directly onto the slat conveyor.
"We really wanted this new plant to be as cost-efficient as possible and the dual-drum design lent itself to eliminating as many maintenance issues as possible," Dempsey says.
Setting up the dryer and mixing drums as a gravity feed system eliminates the discharge flights needed for a conventional in-line system, and as asphalt producers know, discharge flights inside a dryer or mixing drum require maintenance.
And the fact that three Dillman plant experts were on site for a month during installation provided reassurance that the plant would deliver to Lakeside's expectations.
"We did a lot of preliminary work (electrical and concrete) in September and then erected the plant in October, and when we turned it on November 3rd, it was producing mix the first day," Dempsey states. "This is the first double drum system we installed and we believe it will serve our needs for a long time to come."