Analysis identifies critical leak
A CMI Soil Stabilizer plays a critical role in Nick Savko & Sons’ daily operations. “The CMI soil stabilizer is extremely important to our fleet because it enables us to continue our work regardless of the ground and weather conditions,” says Savko. “Without it, a simple thunderstorm could set our project back two or three days — and that’s not something we like to have happen.”
The soil stabilizer undergoes routine oil analysis sampling via the Mobil Monitor EM/PA II used oil analysis program. In a recent test of one of the samples, Brandt noticed the presence of unusually elevated levels of copper, sodium and potassium, tell-tale signs of glycol in the engine. If left unchecked, the leak could lead to a catastrophic engine failure.
Understanding the potential consequences of the glycol leak, Brandt immediately notified Savko of his concern for the condition of the machine.
“To rebuild that engine in-frame would have cost Nick Savko & Sons upwards of $13,500, plus an additional $10,000 for 10 days of lost production and $10,000 per week for a temporary replacement,” says Brandt. “We felt an immediate need to notify Savko so the team could react and prevent any further damage to the equipment.”
ExxonMobil recommended a pressure test of the cooling system on the cylinders in order to locate a possible seal leak. The pressure test was executed and the leak within the cylinder was located and repaired. Once the repairs were completed, the machine was drained, flushed and refilled with new Mobil Delvac heavy-duty engine oil, and returned to full working order.
“The personal attention ExxonMobil provided not only saved our company more than $25,000 in repair and lost production costs, but also helped preserve the excellent reputation of Nick Savko & Sons for on-time project completion,” Savko says. “Each year, more than 85 percent of our sales come from repeat business due to our ability to meet deadlines and deliver on-time results. The reliability of our equipment plays a major role in maintaining that level of service.”
Etnyre’s FWD and QUAD chipspreaders are designed to spread aggregate in the chip seal process.
- Computer-controlled application rates
- Front-wheel or four-wheel drive
- Fixed spread hoppers from 10 to 15 feet
- 148- to 230-hp engines
Bomag ProTack TW500
The ProTack TW500 tack wagon from Bomag is designed for heating and spraying emulsified asphalt for various projects.
- 12-gpm direct-drive asphalt pump
- 5.5-hp Honda engine
- Primary tank holds 500 gallons and features a 10-inch fill spout
- 50,000 BTU vapor propane burners
- 40-foot-long, 1/2-inch-diameter hose allows operators to spray in an 80-foot work area without moving the base unit
- 6-foot spray wand with replaceable tip
- Heavy-duty trailer frame with two 3,500-pound GVW axles, electric trailer brakes and safety chains
Dynapac PL 350 S Planer
The PL 350 S cold planer has a 4-inch cutting depth and a 14-inch working width.
- 60-hp Cummins B3.3 diesel engine
- 6,174-pound operating weight or 9,481-pound maximum weight with ballast
- Up to 82-fpm working speed and 3.6-mph transport speed
- 127-gallon water and 32-gallon fuel tank
Rosco SPRH-H Chip Spreader
Rosco’s SPRH-H chip spreader features 10- to 16-foot spread hoppers.
- Automatic conveyor belts
- Hydrostatic drive and swing-over control console
- Automatic application rate control from operator’s station
- Large 3.5-yard receiving hopper
Keizer-Morris Asphalt Hot Box Dump Store hot mix asphalt at plant temperatures for up to three days or reclaim stockpiled asphalt for off season repairs with the Asphalt Hot Box Dump from Keizer-Morris International.
- 4-ton capacity hot box/reclaimer unit will carry a load from plant to jobsite and dump the asphalt where needed
- Triple wall construction and high efficiency insulation keeps the load hot while minimizing fuel consumption
- Heavy-duty frame is constructed with 6-inch channel and is carried by two 7,000-pound-rated axles and four tires rated over 3,500-pounds of capacity each
- Can also transport cold patch asphalt and other road repair materials
Terex/CMI PR950 Roto-Mill
The PR950 Roto-Mill Pavement Profiler makes cuts up to 15 inches deep with a standard full-lane cutting width of 86 inches at working speeds reaching 170 fpm.
- 950-hp Cummins six-cylinder diesel engine
- Power-band, V-belt direct-drive system
- Quick-mount cutter design with optional 150-inch cutting drum
- Four steering modes
- 42-inch high-capacity conveyor swings 60 degrees to the left or right of center
- Three- or four-track designs
Bergkamp Plant Mix Rubberized Slurry Seal Applicator Truck
These applicator trucks from Bergkamp Inc. are designed for plant mix rubberized slurry seal.
- 3,000-gallon slurry seal tank with 8-inch discharge, butterfly valve for positive seal, knife valve for production regulation, with door for quick cleanout
- 400-gallon water tank with hydraulic-powered pump for spraybar and handhose
- Full tank agitator — hydraulic powered — speed stays constant while truck engine rpm varies
- Includes spreader box lift, sideshift and diverter
Marini MP 1300 Milling Machine
The 275-hp MP 1300 cold planer milling machine features a centrally mounted cutting drum that allows precise milling next to obstructions.
- 51.4-inch standard cutting width and milling depths to 12.6 inches
- Operation controlled from a centrally located operator’s station or via remote-mount controls at ground level
- Front-loading conveyor swings 36 degrees right or left of center and folds for transport
- Four-track stability and independent or coordinated front and rear steering provide improved travel performance
Roadtec RX-900 Cold Planer
The RX-900 cold planer is available with an 860-hp Caterpillar or optional 950-hp Cummins diesel engine.