Planning cannot be overemphasized. Attention to detail is critical and the key personnel must be aware of the formwork tolerances, finish surface quality requirements, and proper placement and vibration procedures. A thorough plan can help ensure success of any wall.
- Ensure the mix design has been submitted, approved and ordered
- Finalize the means of placement — conventional pumping, placing boom or bucket
- Concrete superintendent plans the placing rate, which will determine truck spacing; vibrator type, either external, internal or a combination of both; and placement access/pour platforms and testing/cleanup areas.
- Concrete superintendent reviews grades with the formwork superintendent
- Concrete superintendent reviews locations of all blockouts and embeds that will block the flow of concrete from above — this is critical as these locations will result in rock pockets/consolidation issues if the placing crew is not aware of them. A placing sequence should be discussed in advance of form close up, considering these restrictions.
- Ensure the team is clear about who has authority to reject concrete and for what reasons.
- Have adequate, dedicated power for vibrators on critical pours and ensure backup power readily available.