Representing over 140 of the world’s leading companies in the pavement preservation and rehabilitation industries, over 300 delegates gathered recently to participate in the 10th combined annual meeting of the Pavement Preservation & Recycling Alliance (PPRA): Asphalt Emulsion Manufacturers Association (AEMA), the Asphalt Recycling & Reclaiming Association (ARRA), and the International Slurry Surfacing Association (ISSA).
Held in February 2014 in Aventura, FL, the gathering heard more than 40 speakers over the three-day period. The meeting was a concentrated assembly of industry promotion and technological advancement, as industry leaders and innovators joined together in a unique opportunity to discuss subjects of common interest and to share news of accomplishments in their related fields.
Titled Preservation & Rehabilitation 2014 – The Smart, Sustainable Choice, the meeting highlighted advancements in technology and the application of asphalt emulsions and other additives, asphalt recycling and reclaiming, slurry and micro surfacing, chip seal and crack treatments.
Preservation industry news
In addition to the usual working and technical committee sessions that are always part of each association’s annual meeting, we heard presentations from numerous industry experts and leaders on a wide variety of subjects. Some of the news coming from the annual meeting:
- The International Slurry Surfacing Association (ISSA) again named Christine Deneuvillers President for the 2014 – 2015 year.
- The Asphalt Recycling & Reclaiming Association (ARRA) re-elected Patrick Faster, Gallagher Asphalt Corporation, to the office of President for the 2014-2015 term.
- The Asphalt Emulsion Manufacturers Association (AEMA) presented its 2014 Past Presidents’ Award for Emulsion Excellence to the Chickasaw Nation Roads Department, (agency), PSI Seal Masters Inc.(contractor), and Ergon Asphalt & Emulsions Inc. (emulsion supplier) for restoring Village Road, Kingston, OK. The award recognizes specific project of excellence utilizing asphalt emulsions which exemplify the highest quality of workmanship, and compliance with the best standards of practice.
- ISSA presented of its 2014 President’s Award for Excellence to member VSS International Inc., of West Sacramento, CA; this annual award recognizes contracting achievements which exemplify the highest quality of workmanship, and compliance with the best standards of practice.
- ARRA presented its 2014 Charles R. Valentine Award for Excellence in Cold In-Place Recycling to Dave Laurie, director, Mike Alcock, CET, and the County of Huron, Goderich, Ontario Canada, and its 2014 Award for Excellence in Full Depth Reclamation to Ben Kester, C.E.T., CRS-S, director of public works and operations, and the Township of Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada.
The PPRA will hold its 2014 fall meeting November 17-19 in Baltimore, MD. For more information, visit www.slurry.org/ppra2014.
Next year, the PPRA will join with the International Bitumen Emulsion Federation and FP2 (for Pavement Preservation) to gather stakeholders and experts in a forum aimed at disseminating the best practices worldwide and promoting specific knowledge.
The forum, the Pavement Preservation and Recycling World Summit, will be held for the first time in February 2015 in Paris. As a three-day event, it will include conferences, specific workshops, an exhibition and technical visits. For more information, visit www. pprsparis2015.com.