Prefabrication and Modular construction are showing tremendous promise for improving construction productivity, cost and efficiency. As BIM’s use becomes more widespread and sophisticated, it is expected that prefab and modular construction will increase dramatically in the coming years.
The Fall 2013 BIMForum will examine the issues, advantages and the challenges with using BIM for prefabricating building systems and constructing modular building sections. Specifically, it will explore the following areas:
- Designing for prefabrication: how does the use of prefab and modular building change design decisions and process?
- Metrics of cost savings and productivity increases.
- Do standard contracts adequately address the use of prefab and modular building?
- Is there a real or perceived change in the standards of liability? If so, how can this be addressed?
- The use of multiple trades on prefabricated systems or building modules.
- Impact on jobsite safety
- How do Prefabrication and Modular construction fit into lean a manufacturing workflow?