The House will act on a five-year surface transportation bill in December, House Speaker John Boehner and House Transportation Chair John Mica announced Thursday.
What was revealed:
- Will be a five year bill
- Funded in part with revenues from expanded energy production offshore oil drilling on the Outer Continental Shelf, oil shale, and drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- Will pass by end of the year
- Title is "American Energy & Infrastructure Jobs Act"
What wasn't revealed:
- Exact timetable of legislative action (there are rumors of action beginning the week of December 5)
- Detailed bill text
- Amount of spending proposed by bill
- Estimated revenue to be provided by expanded energy production