After matching Caterpillar’s prices in Q4 2013, the average sale price for Deere 4-WD Articulated Wheel Loaders dropped 5% this quarter. Other major manufacturers saw increases ranging from 14% to 18%.
January represented the calm before the storm as February saw the highest levels of auction activity, only to be outmatched by March. Nevertheless, used-equipment auction volume in the first quarter of 2014 declined 9% compared to Q1 2013.
In the auction (public) market:
- Average auction prices increased 1% compared to Q1 2013
- Caterpillar, the No. 1 brand by volume, increased market share by 3%
- 4-WD Articulated Wheel Loaders demand more than doubled in Central Canada
In the resale (private) market:
- Average resale prices increased 1% compared to Q4 2013
- Komatsu took market share from Deere, the No. 2 brand by volume
- Crawler Mounted Hydraulic Excavators saw prices increase 3% compared to Q4 2013