HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. -- America's tradesmen roll up their sleeves every day to build new roads; repair our cars, trucks and planes; and cool and heat our homes -- oftentimes without recognition or appreciation from their fellow Americans. To celebrate tradesmen's skill and contributions, IRWIN Tools has several initiatives planned across the country to salute and honor 'The Hands that Build America and Keep it Running Strong' as the inaugural National Tradesmen Day draws near. IRWIN Tools today announces that the following activities will take place over the next few weeks to salute and thank America's hardworking tradesmen.
- IRWIN will invite 250 professional tradesmen to give the command for drivers to start their engines as they serve as "Grand Marshals" during pre-race ceremonies at the IRWIN Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway on Saturday, Aug. 27. IRWIN will also give away 1,000 grandstand tickets to tradesmen to experience The World's Fastest Half-Mile and show the company's appreciation for the contributions they make every day to America.
- Kenny Thompson, a concrete tradesman, and the winner of the IRWIN Tools Thank a Tradesman Sweepstakes, could win $1 million if NASCAR driver Jamie McMurray wins the IRWIN Tools Night Race on August 27. As the sweepstakes winner, Thompson won the "Pole Position" Grand Prize that includes an exclusive VIP race weekend for two in Bristol, from Aug. 25-28 for the IRWIN Tools Night Race and the NASCAR Nationwide Series event.
- IRWIN also gave the two top winners of the SkillsUSA 2011 National Automotive Service Technology Competition the IRWIN HANSON Ultimate Experience at the IRWIN Tools Night Race. Adam Minihan of Laconia, N.H.; and Michael Mullen of San Luis Obispo, Calif.; won a once-in-a-lifetime chance to work with legendary NASCAR crew chief and FOX/Speed analyst Jeff Hammond, as well as a NASCAR pit crew during the race weekend. IRWIN partner, Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates, will provide Minihan and Mullen with hands-on experience as they work alongside the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series No. 1 team's pit crew to help the team prepare for the 500 grueling laps of the night race. After all their hard work, Minihan and Mullen will watch the race from some of the best seats in the track, atop the No. 1 Earnhardt Ganassi Pit Box.
- Also at Bristol Motor Speedway, IRWIN will give race fans an opportunity to share how tradesmen have made a positive impact on their lives. The IRWIN event marketing display, in the Vendor Display Area, will feature a giant message board, where fans can thank their favorite tradesman by writing a personal message for everyone to see.
- To promote and celebrate 2011's inaugural National Tradesmen Day, executives from IRWIN Tools, alongside the winner of the IRWIN Tools Ultimate Tradesman Challenge and several professional tradesmen, will be in New York City on Sept. 1 to ring THE OPENING BELLSM at the New York Stock Exchange.
- IRWIN Tools is making a $10,000 donation to the mikeroweWORKS foundation. Mike Rowe, creator, executive producer and host of Discovery Channel's Dirty Jobs, started this foundation to help improve the value of tradesmen in our society, and is focused on building a community among tradesmen with MikeRoweWorks.com.
- IRWIN is coordinating multiple activities throughout the nation and is partnering with retailers and community groups to ensure that the inaugural year's event sets a strong precedent for the annual celebration. Each year, the event will be held on the third Friday in September. "National Tradesmen Day should become a day when each one of us pauses to thank a tradesman," said Curt Rahilly, Vice President of Marketing for IRWIN Tools. "Too often, we forget how underappreciated these professionals are. IRWIN Tools deeply respects the role that professional tradesmen play in the world, and we are excited to celebrate their contributions from Wall Street to Main Street U.S.A. with these special events."
For more information about National Tradesmen Day on Sept.16, 2011, visit www.nationaltradesmenday.com.