These very practical iPhone and iPad apps are an extension of the already popular ACPA online app library. ACPA's web and iPhone/iPad apps are intended to keep pace with the growing demand for web- and mobile device-based information. The resources include powerful design- and construction-related tools, web versions of ACPA software, and some general interest applications. Some of the applications are based on time-tested resources, while others are new or currently being developed.
The current list of iPhone and iPad apps includes:
- Area and Volume Calculator - This app allows users to quickly calculate plan area and volume of material based on a pavement or subbase/subgrade layer's thickness, width, and length.
- Concrete Mixture Proportioner - This tool provides a method of proportioning a concrete mixture using the absolute volume method in substantial conformance with ACI 211.1-91, "Standard Practice for Selecting Proportions for Normal, Heavyweight and Mass Concrete."
- Maximum Joint Space Calculator - This tool allows users to calculate joint spacing in jointed plain (unreinforced) concrete pavement (JPCP).
- Staking Interval Calculator - This tool calculates the rate of change of a vertical curve and, based on this value, provides maximum staking interval recommendations.
- Subgrade Resilient Modulus Calculator - This app, based on the conversion factors included in NCHRP Report 128, "Evaluation of AASHTO Interim Guide for the Design of Pavement Structures," allows users to quickly estimate the Subgrade Resilient Modulus (MRSG) from either a California Bearing Ration (CBR) or Resistance Value (R-value) measurement.
The applications are available at Apple's iTunes App Store store for a nominal fee. Users of iPhones and iPads who click on the iTunes App Store link on the ACPA App Library site will be taken directly to the application purchase site in the Apple's iTunes App Store store; all other users will be directed to landing pages that describe the product and include ordering information. See http://apps.acpa.org/ for more details.