The Tilt-Up Concrete Association (TCA) – a non-profit international organization that serves to expand and improve the use of Tilt-Up as the preferred building system – has announced the addition of Kim Basham PhD, PE, to the 2012 TCA Convention line-up.
Basham, President of KB Engineer, LLC, will present “Controlling Cracks in Slabs” a session focused on what causes out-of-joint dry/thermal shrinkage cracks. His presentation, to be held Thursday, Oct. 4 from 8 – 10 a.m., is designed to educate attendees on how to develop a crack control philosophy that is a combination of design focus and construction effectiveness to minimize random cracking in slabs.
His presentation is part of the field supervisor track, a new offering this year. Sponsored by Citadel Contractors, the track offers convenient sessions that address issues critical to the development and success of today’s field supervisors and project managers. The track is also designed to fulfill the latest upgrade of the ACI/TCA Certified Tilt-Up Supervisor and Technician program by providing the necessary CEUs for recertification. Until the adaptation to a CEU option for recertification, renewal of certification required studying for and taking an exam similar to the one taken to qualify for initial certification. “This CEU opportunity further accentuates the commitment to and value of quality education for today’s Tilt-Up professionals,” said Jim Baty, Technical Director of TCA.
"Qualified superintendents are the backbone of our company. Tilt-Up specific continuing education is very difficult to come by so I'm excited that TCA will be providing us with this opportunity at the fall convention," said Glenn Doncaster, President of TCA.
Other sessions planned for field construction personnel include:
- Modern Tilt-Up Contractors: Pride and Craft by Mitch Bloomquist
- How to Manage, Motivate & Maximize Productive Field Crews by George Hedley
- Tips and Tricks by Barclay Gebel
- Panel Discussion: Bracing to the Slab by Glenn Doncaster
- Project Case Study: Natl. Museum of Health and Medicine by David C. Costello
- Cranes, Bracing and Erection Safety by Gary Fischer
- Quality Control and Assurance by Shawn Hickey
- Sustainable Concrete Mixes: Understanding and Utilizing Fly-ash and Slag (GGBFS) by Andrew McPherson
- Panel Discussion: Learning From Others - Best Practices, Honest Mistakes and Plain Stupidity by Shawn Hickey
In addition to the field supervisor focus, TCA is offering attendees an opportunity to participate in Association committees by attending a Q&A session held at the start of each committee meeting. The goal is to introduce the committee and its purpose, as well as provide attendees the chance to get involved and share their input.
The following committee meetings are scheduled during the convention:
- Safety Committee Meeting: Wednesday, October 3 from 4 – 5 p.m.
- Promotions Committee Meeting: Thursday, October 4 from noon – 1 p.m.
- Technical Committee Meeting: Thursday, October 4 from noon – 1 p.m.
- Membership Committee Meeting: Thursday, October 4 from noon – 1 p.m.
The TCA Convention will kick-off Tuesday, Oct. 2 with outdoor product demonstrations and an opening reception. Specific session information for Wednesday and Thursday can be found by visiting http://www.tilt-up.org/convention/2012/programs/. A golf outing will be held on Friday. For more information, visit www.tilt-up.org/convention.