The economic slow-down has resulted in a moderate outlook for 2012. "For the Liebherr Group, we forecast a turnover for 2012 in the region of 9 billion €, equivalent to an increase of almost 9% or rather more than 700 million €," said Heissler. "We currently anticipate that at the end of 2012, our more than 130 Liebherr Group companies will be employing almost 38,000 people, which is an increase of over 2,600 people or +7.5%."
Investment in the Future
Liebherr Group anticipates total investments in its operations in 2012 to be roughly 770 million €, or an increase of about 10%. These funds are being allocated to the modernization and expansion of its worldwide production facilities and to further strengthen its sales and service network. Following are some highlights:
- In Biberach, Germany, an additional production site for the components division is under construction on a 150,000 m² (about 1,610,000 ft²) site. The new facilities will be used to manufacture switchgear and electric motors.
- In Colmar, France, the plant for mining excavators that started production in 2010 has already reached its capacity limit. The logistic building is now being extended to an area of more than 15,000 m² (about 161,000 ft²), with plans to expand the production building to approximately 29,000 m² (312,000 ft²). Nearby, the components division has started construction of a new plant on a 50,000 m² (about 538,000 ft²) site, where Liebherr-Components Colmar SAS will operate a research and development center, as well as a factory for the production of components dedicated to the mining sector.
- In Adelaide, Australia, the mining division will add a 12,000 m² (129,000 ft²) warehousing and distribution center and a 16,000 m² (172,000 ft²) remanufacturing center to its existing facilities.
- In Lindenberg, Germany, Liebherr-Aerospace is expanding its production site for landing gear, flight control and actuation systems. The expansion and re-structuring will be carried out during six construction phases until 2018. The plant today covers 127,000 m² (about 1,367,000 ft²); after its completion, it will cover an area of 160,000 m² (about 1,722,000 ft²).
Developments for the BRIC nations of Russia, India and China include:
- In 2011, a new factory was opened in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia, for earthmoving machinery and components, tower cranes and aerospace equipment. This factory covers 1,200,000 m² (about 12,917,000 ft²) and became operational this year.
- A new production facility recently opened in Pune, India, southeast of Mumbai, and features a production hall of 8,000 m² (about 86,111 ft²). Liebherr CMCtec India Private Limited manufactured its first truck mixers, mixing plants and tower cranes this year.
- In Dalian, China, the production program of Liebherr Machinery (Dalian) Co., Ltd. comprises hydraulic excavators, wheel loaders and material handlers, as well as gearboxes. The company is now adding another production hall and administrative building to its facility, which currently covers a total area of 90,000 m² (about 969,000 ft²) and a built-over area of 19,000 m² (about 205,000 ft²). The new 12,000 m² (about 129,000 ft²) hall is to be finished in the first half of 2013 and will enable Liebherr to increase its production for the Chinese and selected emerging markets.