An Excellence in Achievement winner, this office building by Newcomb Construction Company, Madison, Wis., was created at a cost of less than $100 per square foot, including site-work and interior build-out.
An Excellence in Achievement winner, the Saint Mary Coptic Orthodox Church by Houlihan Construction, LLC of Hollywood, Fla., was originally designed as reinforced masonry with metal gauge framing, lath, and stucco at the facades.
The Tilt-Up Concrete Association (TCA) announced the recipients of the 23rd Annual Tilt-Up Achievement Awards. The Achievement Awards program was established by TCA to honor projects that represent an increasing diversity of building types constructed with site-cast tilt-up concrete as well as those that advance industry technology, apply innovative form and provide unique solutions to building programs. As in previous years, submittals were judged on aesthetic expression, schedule, size, originality, finishes and special conditions; all characteristics of the projects that would attract and hold the interest of those skeptical of the potential as well as challenging experienced professionals to broaden their ideas for potential. Ultimately, the competition is designed to raise awareness not only of the effectiveness and maturity of the market, but also the professional experience of TCA members throughout the world.
The judges for the competition represent a combination of TCA membership categories, educational institutions, publishing and industry management. Additionally, this year the TCA’s social media fans chose three projects as fan favorites. The fan favorite selection was open to everyone and was a separate process from the formal scoring process completed by the judges’ panel.
This year, the panel of judges recognized a total of 31 award recipients, and selected 11 overall Excellence in Achievement winners that best represent the heights the industry has attained. The following projects received the Excellence in Achievement awards; they exemplify the current state-of-the-art achievement in tilt-up construction with their unique and inventive use of the method.
- Tooele Applied Technology College: 73,751-square-foot educational building in Tooele, Utah. Submitted by: Hughes General Contractors of North Salt Lake, Utah.
- EagleBurgmann: 26,802-square-foot industrial building in Houston, Texas. Submitted by: Powers Brown Architecture of Houston. Other TCA member involvement: Pinnacle Structural Engineers and Textured Coatings of America.
- Quala Republica Dominica: 222,234-square-foot industrial project in Haina, San Cristobal, Dominican Republic. Submitted by: Contratistas Civiles y Mecanicos (CCM). Other TCA member involvement: Meadow Burke and Nox-Crete Products Group.
- Saint Louis Art Museum New East Building: 215,000-square-foot municipal project in St. Louis, Mo. Submitted by: Fenix Construction Company of St. Louis. Other TCA member involvement: Meadow Burke, HD Supply White Cap, Nox-Crete Products Group and Thermomass.
- 1242 Fourier Drive: 28,533-square-foot office project in Madison, Wis. Submitted by: Newcomb Construction Company Inc. of Madison.
- Chico’s National Store Support Center (Building 10): 50,515-square-foot office project in Fort Myers, Fla. Submitted by: Woodland Construction Company Inc. of Jupiter, Fla. Other TCA member involvement: Meadow Burke, Nox-Crete Products Group, Textured Coatings of America and Permit Engineering Services.
- Dalchau Service Center Building D: 78,952 square-foot office building in Austin, Texas. Submitted by: American Constructors Inc. of Austin. Other TCA member involvement: Meadow Burke, White Cap and Dayton Superior.
- Saint Mary Coptic Orthodox Church: 13,750-square-foot spiritual building in Delray Beach, Fla. Submitted by: Houlihan Construction, LLC of Hollywood, Fla. Other TCA member involvement: Johnson Structural Group, Inc., Meadow Burke, HD Supply, White Cap and Nox-Crete Products Group.
- Metropolitan Van & Storage: 107,424-square-foot warehouse building in Napa, Calif. Submitted by: Panattoni Construction, Inc. of Sacramento, Calif. Other TCA member involvement: Meadow Burke, and RMW architecture & interiors.
- Galeria 360: 1,045,278-square-foot special project in Distrito Nacional, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Submitted by: Contratistas Civiles y Mecanicos (CCM). Other TCA member involvement: Meadow Burke and Form Services, Inc.
- Abu Dhabi (UAE) Model Villas: 5,500-square-foot special project in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Submitted by: SiteCast Construction Corp. of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.