Perkins president Ramin Younessi, front right, joins representatives from across the business to celebrate the production of the 20 millionth Perkins engine.
Perkins celebrated a major milestone on April 28 with the production of its 20 millionth engine. Eighty-one years after the brand was established, the 20 millionth Perkins engine, a 1206 two-stage turbo Tier 4 diesel engine, rolled off the production line at the company’s facility in Peterborough, UK.
At a small ceremony, attended by around 70 employees, Perkins president Ramin Younessi said: “Twenty million engines is a significant achievement of which we’re all very proud. Today, Perkins is one of the world’s leading suppliers of off-highway diesel and gas engines in the industry. Our engines are manufactured across four continents and power more than 800 different applications in the construction, power generation, agricultural, material handling, industrial and marine markets.”
He continued, “Our global manufacturing facilities have all contributed to this 20 million milestone for the Perkins brand, to which I extend my sincere thanks to the team, while our global customer base have of course, made their contribution too, by continuing to value their ongoing relationships with us as their power provider, as much as we value our partnerships with them.”
- 20 million Perkins engines have been built, of which at least 4.5 million are still in service.
- Perkins has the capacity to manufacture 800,000 engines a year from its manufacturing facilities in Peterborough and Stafford, UK; Griffin, GA, USA; Curitiba, Brazil; and Wuxi, China.
- Perkins engines are sold around the world and power more than 800 different applications for major equipment manufacturers in the construction, power generation, agricultural, material handling, industrial and marine markets.
- Perkins is a leading global supplier of off-highway diesel and gas engines in the 5- to 2,800-hp market.
- In 1998, Perkins became a wholly owned subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc.