Komatsu replaced the well-known Valmet-brand FX/FXL series track feller bunchers and harvesters with the four models of the Komatsu-branded XT series. Built at Komatsu’s Chattanooga, Tenn., plant, the XT430-2, XT430L-2, XT445L-2 and XT450L-2 offer improved serviceability and undercarriage design.
Improvements to the undercarriage design include:
- Roller guards extended to the front and back with improved track shoe support plate clearance to reduce side loading on uneven ground
- Cut-outs added to the track frame to reduce debris packing and improve roller maintenance
- Improved track drive sprockets with mud/snow relief to reduce packing
- New full length track slider plates provide larger surface area for extended life
- Two additional bottom track rollers have been added to the XT430L for better weight distribution and improved roller and track link life
- Increased XT430L idler recoil spring pre-load by 20% to maintain better track tension and positive sprocket engagement
The XT models have been designed for improved servicing access. The engine oil filter location has been moved to make it easier to change, and swing-bearing lubrication points have also been relocated for easier access.