Caterpillar 966K XE loader cab with joystick steering
Electro-hydraulic joystick steering is standard on Cat's 966K XE. It's force-feedback feature automatically increases joystick effort as ground speed increases. The joystick moves side to side; its angle mirroring the machine’s articulation angle.
Caterpillar Cat 966K XE wheel loader with continuously variable transmission (CVT)
Caterpillar's Cat 966K XE loader with CVT climbing
The XE version of Caterpillar's 966K wheel loader has a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that helps improve the number of tons of material moved per unit of fuel up to 25 percent.
Cat's integrated CVT replaces a traditional drive line's torque converter with a hydraulic pump and motor (variator unit), which allows for smooth, continuous ratio changes between engine speed and machine speed. The variator runs much cooler under heavy load than a torque converter, and the allows the engine to run in a more efficient operating range (Working range: 1,250 to 1,600 RPM).
Power is also transmitted through the CVT in a parallel mechanical gear path that is much like a powershift transmission. It is combined with variator power through a series of planetary gear sets. Transmission operation is automated and transparent to the operator.
- Energy of machine momentum is recovered during deceleration to power implements or the cooling fan
- 290-hp Cat C9.3 ACERT diesel engine
- Electro-hydraulic joystick steering is standard
- Standard Performance Series Buckets designed to fill faster and retain loads better
- Operating weight: 53,300 lbs.
- The 966K XE will be available in North America in the first quarter of 2013
Brochure: Cat 966K XE Loader with CVT