The electric motor on the 644K drives a simplified three-speed transmission, but the system has four operating speed ranges in forward and reverse. Reverse gears are not needed.
Since the engine on the 644K Hybrid runs at a constant speed, the operator always has full driveline and hydraulic power for operation and maneuvering in and out of the pile.
John Deere mates a 229-hp PowerTech 6.8-L Tier 4 Interim/Stage IIIB diesel to an electric generator in its new 644K hybrid loader, saying the combo delivers performance equal to or better than the conventional 644K. Constant engine operating speed maintains continuous hydraulic flow for crisp hydraulic responsiveness. The electric motor smoothly delivers torque resulting in fluid operation and a smoother ride.
- Reduces fuel consumption up to 25 percent
- Operator selects a constant engine speed from 900 to 1,800 rpm
- Four-speed PowerShift transmission needs no reverse gear, as direction changes are performed by the electric motor
- Brushless generator converts engine energy into three-phase alternating current (AC)
- Brushless electric motor also works as a generator to recycle energy back into the system
- Coast control allows operator to enable dynamic braking through the monitor panel, reducing mechanical brake wear