Caterpillar's brand new Cat 982M replaces the 980K 12-ton model with a general purpose machine capable of two-pass loading on-highway trucks.
Caterpillar expanded availability of its CVT transmission for loaders -- with ability to extend fuel economy 25% -- by offering an XE version of the 972M loader.
The six models of Caterpillar's new M Series medium-sized Cat wheel loaders include the brand new 982M and an XE version, with the fuel efficiency of a CVT transmission, of the 972M. Cat claims the M Series improves fuel efficiency 10 percent with new lock-up clutch torque converters, split-flow transmission oil systems with multi-viscosity oil, and hydraulic and axle-lube systems.
- New disc-type differential locks (standard on all front axles) improve tractive ability
- Automatic front- and rear-axle differential locks available
- Lower axle-oil levels and bevel gear shrouds reduce churning losses
- Mono-block hydraulic valve reduces weight, has 40 percent fewer leak points and is common across M Series
- New ride-control system has two accumulators to be more effective over a greater payload range
- Hydraulic system now protected by both full-flow and kidney-loop filtration
- A new thermal bypass valve has been added to improve hydraulic system warm-up
- New color touch-screen display simplifies operator interface with machine controls and rear-view camera
- New integrated Cat Production Measurement system provides payload information via the touch screen