Caterpillar's new CT681 Vocational Truck is a set-forward-axle model with a 114-in. bumper-to-back-of-cab measurement for truck buyers who prefer longer wheelbase or who must comply with state bridge-law load restrictions. The only engine available is a 12.4-L Cat CT13 based on Navistar's N13 (Navistar builds the Cat trucks in its Escobido, Mexico, plant). More than half of those who've bought the first Cat truck, the CT660, have specified Caterpillar's CX31 automatic transmission. The CT681 shares many common features and components with the CT660, most notably the cab, which reviewers say rivals the top cabs in the business for quiet and comfort.
- 12.4-L CT13 diesel in five ratings from 365 - 430 hp; peak torques 1,250 - 1,550 ft. lb.
- CX31 transmission offers two side PTO locations and an exclusive rear PTO
- Transmissions options include several manual gearboxes and Eaton's Ultrashift Plus Vocational
- 12.25-in. frame-rail size; 120,000 psi yield strength
- Optional Front Frame Extension (FFE) and front engine PTO make it easy to mount attachments