In the transition to Tier 4-Final/Stage IIIB emissions compliance, Caterpillar boosted horsepower and torque on the 226D and 232D skid steers and 239D and 249D compact track loaders 10%, and expects up to a 14% improvement in fuel efficiency compared to predecessor models. The 67 hp C2.2 engine uses an electronically controlled high-pressure/common-rail fuel system, direct fuel injection, and a maintenance-free diesel oxidation catalyst as the only required exhaust after treatment.
The four new D Series small-chassis loaders incorporate design innovations pioneered on the larger D Series machines, including a sealed/pressurized cab, electro-hydraulic controls, redesigned lift arms, premium seat choices, and optional Advanced Display (available with rear-view camera).
- Two-speed drive with 226D and 232D top speed of 11 mph
- 239D and 249D CTL operating weights less than 8,000 lbs. allow trailering without a CDL
- Radial-lift 226D and vertical-lift 232D rated operating capacities (ROC): 1,550 and 1,850 lbs.
- Radial-lift 239D and vertical-lift 249D ROCs: 2,050 and 2,300 lbs.
- Demand fan is standard for optimum cooling and reduced horsepower draw
The D-Series cab (Cab One) is completely modular and self-sealing, leaving no part of the cab attached to the chassis when the cab is tilted.
- Redesigned HVAC system supplies 20% more airflow and an approximate 50% increase in heating and cooling rates
- Standard monitor's single-code security feature deters theft and unauthorized operation
- Advanced Display expands security (operator) codes to 50 and can store custom operating preferences for each code
- Operator preferences include response rates for hydrostatic drive and implement hydraulics, settings for ride-control, creep speed, and top speed
- A master code allows review of operator-specific machine information, including hours of operation, fuel burn, operating events, and diagnostic codes
Small-chassis D Series loaders feature the electronic Intelligent Leveling system that includes:
- Dual self-leveling automatically levels loader linkage while raising or lowering the arms
- Automatic snubbing cushions lift-arm descent, slowing motion as the arms approach the stops
- Return-to-dig allows the operator to set the digging angle of the bucket and automatically return the bucket to that angle by pressing a trigger on the joystick as the arms lower
- Work tool positioning allows the tool angle to be pre-set, as when positioning a trencher, and the angle automatically recalled if the machine is repositioned
Lift arms, coupler, track choices
Lift arms for all D Series machines are a tubular steel that provides optimum lift characteristics and strength, with a narrower profile for improved sight lines to the sides of the machine and the work tool.
- Available automatic work-tool coupler is electrically actuated, replacing the previous hydraulically actuated coupler
- Available high-flow auxiliary-hydraulics provides flows to 26 gpm and pressures to 3,336 psi
- Standard and high-flow auxiliary hydraulics use connect-under-pressure quick disconnects
- Suspended-undercarriage CTL models offer 15-in.-wide tread in addition to standard, 12.6-in.-wide tracks
The new models feature ground-level access to all routine service points, including filters, battery, and engine-oil fill and check points.
- Air-conditioner condenser mounted inside the engine compartment door for easy cleaning or service
- Electric fuel-priming pump with automatic air bleed eases replacing the fuel filter/water separator
- Dead-engine/boom-down actuator repositioned for easier access
- Boom arms incorporate a one-person safety brace, and a battery disconnect is optional