Ak-Chin Entertainment Complex, an Excellence in Achievement winner in the 22nd Annual Tilt-Up Concrete Awards.
Kilgore Office Addition, an Excellence in Achievement winner in the 22nd Annual Tilt-Up Concrete Awards.
The Tilt-Up Concrete Association (TCA) – an international nonprofit organization that serves to expand and improve the use of Tilt-Up as the preferred building system – has announced the recipients of the 22nd Annual Tilt-Up Achievement Awards.
The Achievement Awards program was established by TCA to honor projects that represent an increasing diversity of building types constructed with site-cast Tilt-Up concrete as well as those that advance industry technology, apply innovative form and provide unique solutions to building programs. As in previous years, submittals were judged on aesthetic expression, schedule, size, originality, finishes and special conditions; all characteristics of the projects that would attract and hold the interest of those skeptical of the potential as well as challenging experienced professionals to broaden their ideas for potential. Ultimately, the competition is designed to raise awareness not only of the effectiveness and maturity of the market, but also the professional experience of TCA members throughout the world.
The judges for the competition represent a combination of TCA membership categories, educational institutions, publishing and industry management. For a complete list of the judges, visit http://www.tilt-up.org/awards/tilt/2013/judges.php. Additionally, this year the TCA’s social media fans choose five projects as fan favorites. The fan favorite selection was open to everyone and was a separate process from the formal scoring process completed by the judges’ panel.
This year, the panel of judges recognized a total of 26 award recipients, and selected 11 overall Excellence in Achievement winners that best represent the heights the industry has attained. These projects, detailed below, exemplify the current state-of-the-art achievement in Tilt-Up construction with their unique and inventive use of the method.
The projects winning this distinction are noted below.
- Korean War Veterans Memorial:1,500-square-foot memorial wall special project in Kansas City, Mo. Submitted by: Summit Concrete of Lee’s Summit, Mo. Other TCA member involvement: Needham and Associates, Inc., Innovative Brick System LLC, Tincher’s Welding LLC, Meadow Burke and White Cap Building Supply.
- MEPS Jacksonville: 30,707-square-foot office building in Jacksonville, Fla. Submitted by: Kenneth R. Carlson Architect PA of Deerfield Beach, Fla. Other TCA member involvement: BBM Structural Engineers and Textured Coatings of America , Inc.
- The Killam Office Building: 45,256-square-foot office building in San Antonio, Tex. Submitted by: Metropolitan Contracting Company, LLC of San Antonio, Tex. Other TCA member involvement: White Cap.
- Oxygen Development: 218,000-square-foot manufacturing/industrial project in West Palm Beach, Fla. Submitted by: Woodland Construction Company, Inc. of Jupiter, Fla. Other TCA member involvement: Permit Engineering Services, Inc., Meadow Burke, White Cap and SpecChem, LLC.
- UCSD East Campus Office Building: 75,000-square-foot office project in La Jolla, Calif. Submitted by: Gensler of San Diego, Calif. Other TCA member involvement: Minegar Contracting, Inc.
- Ak-Chin Entertainment Complex: 167,132-square-foot commercial project in Maricopa, Ariz. Submitted by: Baker Concrete Construction, Inc. of Phoenix, Ariz. Other TCA member involvement: Dayton Superior Corporation and Nox-Crete Products Group.
- Schattdecor, Inc.: 103,400-square-foot manufacturing/industrial building in Maryland Heights, Mo. Submitted by Fenix Construction Company of St. Louis, Mo. Other TCA member involvement: Meadow Burke, Nox-Crete Products Group and Dayton Superior Corporation.
- United Technologies Fire and Security Innovation: 19,750-square-foot manufacturing/industrial facility in Jupiter, Fla. Submitted by: Woodland Construction Company, Inc. of Jupiter, Fla. Other TCA member involvement: Meadow Burke, White Cap, SpecChem, LLC, Thermomass and Advanced Formliners, LLC.
- Kilgore Building: 26,770-square-foot office project in West Valley City, Utah. Submitted by Hughes General Contractors, Inc. of North Salt Lake, Utah. Other TCA member involvement: BHB Consulting Engineers PC and Dayton Superior Corporation.
- Folsom Cordova Unified School District Education Services Center: 73,700-square-foot educational building in Rancho Cordova, Calif. Submitted by Barrish Pelham & Associates, Inc. of Sacramento, Calif.
- Allied Health: 40,275-square-foot educational building in Modesto, Calif. Submitted by Panattoni Construction, Inc. of Sacramento, Calif. Other TCA member involvement: Meadow Burke, White Cap and Nox-Crete Products Group.
In addition to the top 11 projects, 15 other projects were selected to round out the class of the 22nd Annual Tilt-up Achievement Awards. Click here to read more about the winners.
The annual Achievement Awards competition is a year-round opportunity for any TCA member company to participate. Each year, the submittal process closes at the end of June to allow for the evaluation and award process that culminates with public announcement of the recipients during the TCA’s Convention in the fall. To find out more about this program, the requirements and TCA membership in general, interested persons can visit the awards submission section of the TCA website or contact Jim Baty, TCA Technical Director.