The National Asphalt Pavement Association (NAPA) honored the winners and finalists of its 2013 Operational Excellence Awards at a special ceremony during the association’s Midyear Meeting in Nashville.
“Through the creation of five Operational Excellence Award categories: Asphalt Operations Safety Innovation, Community Involvement, Ecological, Outstanding Brochure, and Outstanding Website; the Awards Committee established a blueprint for excellence — detailing the aspects that make for successful businesses,” says Jim Mitchell, Chairman of the Awards Committee.
The 2013 winners are:
- Asphalt Operations Safety Innovations Award: Tilcon New York, an Oldcastle Materials Co. of West Nyack, NY, for the Ergonomic Jackhammer Carrier
- Asphalt Operations Safety Innovations Award: Tilcon New York, an Oldcastle Materials Co. of West Nyack, NY, for a Hot Liquid Asphalt Sampling Center
- Community Involvement Award: Axeon Specialty Products Inc. of West Deptford, NJ
- Community Involvement Award: Tilcon New York Inc., an Oldcastle Materials Co. of Wharton, NJ
- Ecological Award (Existing Plant): Duval Asphalt Products Inc. of Jacksonville, FL, for Plant #2/Philips Highway
- Ecological Award (New Plant): Tilcon New York Inc., an Oldcastle Materials Co. of Wharton, NJ, for Mt. Hope Asphalt Plant
- Outstanding Brochure Award: Palmer Paving Corp. of Palmer, MA, for its corporate brochure
- Outstanding Brochure Award: Missouri Asphalt Pavement Association of Jefferson City, MO, for its brochure series
- Outstanding Website Award: Missouri Asphalt Pavement Association of Jefferson City, MO, for moasphalt.org
- Outstanding Website Award: Virginia Asphalt Association of Richmond, Va., for vaasphalt.org
The Operational Excellence Awards honor leaders in the asphalt pavement industry for innovation and excellence in marketing, communications, and community outreach with the Community Involvement, Outstanding Brochure, and Outstanding Website Awards. Companies also are lauded for their responsible practices with the Asphalt Operations Safety Innovations and Ecological Awards.
The Operational Excellence Awards are a counterpart to the annual Quality in Construction Awards, which recognize asphalt paving jobs completed in line with best practices and standards known to yield high-quality asphalt pavements.
The NAPA Awards Program recognizes and encourages continuous improvement in all aspects of paving and asphalt operations. The 2014 NAPA Awards program is now accepting nominations. Quality in Construction Award nominations are due by Oct. 7; Operational Excellence Award nominations are due by Dec. 8.
In related news, NAPA also announced the winners for its 2013 Outstanding Brochure Award competition.
The Outstanding Brochure Award recognizes outstanding company brochures that promote the asphalt industry.
Winning the 2013 awards were Palmer Paving Corp. of Palmer, MA, for its 12-page booklet with a jacket pocket on the interior back cover that details Palmer Paving’s corporate culture, company history, values, and goals; and the Missouri Asphalt Pavement Association of Jefferson City, MO, for its series of five double-sided tri-fold brochures that highlight key asphalt industry messages including an overview on asphalt pavements, Perpetual Pavement design, sustainability, and the benefits of joing MoAPA.
For more information about the NAPA Awards program, or to nominate a project or company for an award, visit AsphaltPavement.org/Awards.