Panasonic's rugged, 5-in. tablets -- the Toughpad FZ-E1 powered by Windows Embedded 8.1 Handheld and FZ-X1 running the Android 4.2.2 operating system -- are the first devices in the Toughpad line to offer optional voice connectivity. With 14-hour hot-swappable batteries, FIPS 140-2 Level 1 security, and sunlight-readable HD touchscreens that work even with gloves, the Toughpad FZ-E1 and FZ-X1 are purpose-built to improve efficiency and productivity for mobile professionals in demanding environments.
Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 exceed MIL-STD-810G specifications with resistance to drops of up to 10 ft. to concrete. Both devices are fully sealed against dust and are submersible in up to 5 ft. of water for up to 30 minutes, meeting IP65 and IP68 certification requirements. The devices carry an operating temperature range of -4° F to 140° F thanks to a built-in heater, and are also tested for resistance to impact, shock, vibration, altitude and extreme humidity.
Both models will be available with dual SIM slots and certified on leading mobile carrier networks, 4G LTE/3G/GPRS/CDMA2000 mobile broadband for voice and data. Push-to-talk service also will be available on specific networks and depending on service contracts. Standard on both models is Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, near field communications (NFC), standalone GPS and Bluetooth v4.0 (Class 1).
To ensure clear voice communication above engine or construction noise, the devices are equipped with intelligent noise cancelling and dual front speakers reaching an astounding maximum volume of 100 decibels — about as loud as the average home stereo system.
Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 Key Features
- Operating System
- ?Toughpad FZ-E1: Windows Embedded 8.1 Handheld
- Toughpad FZ-X1: Android 4.2.2
- Toughpad FZ-E1: Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 series 2.3GHz Quad Core
- Toughpad FZ-X1: Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 series 1.7GHz Quad Core
- Rugged Durability: MIL-STD-810G certified; tested for 10-foot drops to concrete; IP65 and IP68 certified fully sealed design (sealed against dust and submersible in water), operating temperature range of -4° F to 140° F
- Handheld Portability: 15 oz., 1.2” thin (standard configuration)
- Battery Life: Up to 14 hours of continuous use depending on usage conditions. Hot Swap functionality allows the main battery to be swapped without powering down
- Enterprise-Grade Display: 5-inch sunlight-readable, anti-reflective HD (1280x720) LCD with high-sensitivity 10-point capacitive multitouch input. Glove-touch and rain-sensing features are included
- Storage and Memory: 32 GB flash memory with 2GB RAM; and micro SDXC card slot
- Connectivity & I/O: optional 4G LTE/3G/GPRS/CDMA2000 (voice and data); standard Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, near field communications (NFC), standalone GPS, Bluetooth v4.0 (Class 1), USB 2.0; optional integrated 1D/2D barcode reader; optional attachable magnetic stripe card reader; expansion area for peripheral connectivity
- Camera: 8MP rear camera with auto focus and LED light; 1.3MP front camera
- Security: FIPS 140-2 Level 1 compliant
- Warranty: The Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 are backed by a 3-year warranty and U.S.-based customer support
The Toughpad FZ-X1 with WiFi or mobile broadband data connectivity will be the first to hit the market in August 2014 at a list price of $1,799 (WiFi-only) or $1,849 (mobile broadband data). The Toughpad FZ-E1 with WiFi-only connectivity will also be available in August 2014 at a list price of $1,899, followed by the telephony and mobile broadband-enabled version with a target date of October 2014 at a list price of $1,999. The Toughpad FZ-X1 enabled for telephony and mobile broadband data will have a target date of January 2015 at a list price of $1,899.