Mobile tablets such as the Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 Rugged Windows Tablet offer the durability to withstand field use, while providing the functionality needed to capture accurate data and transmit it back to the office.
Panasonic upgraded the Toughpad FZ-G1 rugged 10-in. tablet with faster 4th generation Intel Core i5 vPro processor, the Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro update, and a single battery providing up to 10 hours of continuous use. Panasonic says the Toughpad FZ-G1 is “a lightweight tablet PC providing desktop-like performance in extreme environments.”
New options include an integrated UHF radio-frequency identification (RFID) reader or contactless smart card reader, and certification for use in hazardous locations.
It retains key features of the previous model, including rugged design certified to meet IP65 and MIL-STD-810G specifications for drops (up to 4 ft.), shock, vibration, altitude, humidity and extreme temperatures. For added security, an optional Opal-compliant, self-encrypting drive will be available in summer 2014.
Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 Key Improvements
- Updated Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro Update 64-bit or Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Pro)
- Faster Processor: 4th generation Inte® Core i5-4310U vPro Processor (3 MB cache, 2.0 GHz up to 3.0 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology)
- Longer Battery Life: Up to 10 hours of continuous use with a single standard battery, and up to 20 hours with one optional long life battery*
- Hot Swap Capability: New bridge battery configuration option allows users to switch out batteries without powering down with the device
- Enhanced WiFi Connectivity: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Expanded Configuration Options: Three new options – UHF radio-frequency identification (RFID) reader, contactless smart card reader (HF-RFID), or bridge battery – added to existing configuration options. 11 options in total available
- Camera Upgrade: 8MP rear camera and software with location-based services (Windows 8.1 Pro update model only)
- Enhanced Security: Optional Opal-compliant, self-encrypting drive available summer 2014
- Touchscreen Enhancements: Daylight-readable display with 10-point gloved multitouch technology + digitizer, operational even in wet conditions
- Hazardous Location Certification: Standard chemical resistance; optional certification available for use in hazardous locations (ANSI).
The Toughpad FZ-G1 is available0020at a list price of $2,599.