The 2020 GMC Sierra HD’s bigger frame, stronger propulsion and smarter technologies are expected to deliver dramatically greater towing capacity than previous models, well in excess of 30,000 pounds. (GM expects to announce detailed trailering capabilities and an all-new gas engine soon.)
The proven 6.6L Duramax turbo-diesel engine offers an SAE-certified 445 hp and 910 lb.-ft. of torque. Increased cooling capacity delivered in part by a dual-path intake system drawing dense, cool air through the hood scoop and the larger front grille are expected to improve efficiency.
The new Sierra HD marks the introduction of an all-new 10-speed Allison automatic transmission – the first-ever offered in the heavy-duty pickup segment. Closer gear spacing allows the engine to operate in an optimal speed range more of the time as speed, load and terrain changes.
First introduced with the 2019 Sierra light duty, the ProGrade Trailering System featuring class-leading available 15 camera views, including a segment-first transparent trailer view to virtually see through a trailer in tow to following traffic. The cameras help optimize the driver’s view around the truck and compatible trailers to provide added confidence when towing. The transparent trailer innovation combines the view from the tailgate-mounted camera with an available accessory camera mounted on the rear of the trailer. The resulting display helps the driver to virtually see through the trailer, a benefit when navigating parking lots, merging into traffic or making tight turns.
The ProGrade Trailering System also includes an in-vehicle Trailering App with Trailer Light Test, Trailer Electrical Diagnostics, Trailer Tire Pressure and Temperature Monitoring, Pre- Maintenance Reminders and Departure Checklist. Many of the Trailering app’s functions, including the lighting test and pre-departure checklist, are also available with the myGMC mobile app, a feature that offers great convenience when outside the truck or trailer.
Other technologies and hardware available to aid trailering include:
- Auto Electric Park Brake applies automatically to help maintain truck position when hitching
- New Park Grade Hold Assist enhances hill hold by using braking effort at each wheel
- New larger, door-mounted trailering mirrors with power extend and retract
- Integrated trailer-brake controller recalls a trailer’s most recent gain setting from the trailer profile in the Trailering App
- Tow/Haul mode remains engaged on the next key-on cycle for up to four hours
- Hill Start Assist and Hill Descent Control
- Trailer Sway Control
- Auto Grade Braking and Diesel Exhaust Braking
- Digital Variable Steering Assist dynamically optimizes power steering according to driving scenarios, including trailering, and enables features like road pull compensation
A Trailering Info Label placed on the driver’s door jamb clearly calls out the truck’s specific trailering information, including curb weight, GVWR, GCWR, maximum payload, maximum tongue weight and rear GAWR.
Compared to the 2019 Sierra HD, the 2020 model has:
- A longer wheelbase, a taller, more dominant hood line and taller overall height
- A larger grille and functional hood scoop to feed an advanced cooling system for the Duramax turbo diesel
- Class-leading heavy-duty cargo bed volume and 12 corner tie-downs with a new, available 120-volt power outlet
- 1-in.-lower bed lift-in height for easier loading and fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailer hitching
- New cargo-bed side steps in front of the wheel openings on all box stylesthat complement bumper CornerSteps
- World’s first six-function MultiPro tailgate available on all trim levels and standard on SLT, AT4 and Denali
The all-new Sierra AT4 Heavy Duty’s off-road capabilities are rooted in a unique suspension and supporting technologies that include:
- Off-road suspension, Rancho Shocks, skid plates, Eaton locking rear differential
- 18-in. wheels wrapped with Michelin all-terrain tires (20-in. wheels available)
- Traction Select System with specific Off-Road mode
- Hill Descent Control and Hill Start Assist
- Segment-exclusive 15-in. diagonal Head-Up Display with Off-Road Inclinometer
- HD Surround Vision for low-speed views of vehicle surroundings
The 2020 Sierra HD goes on sale in late-summer 2019 in 2500HD and 3500HD dual-rear-wheel and single-rear-wheel configurations.