FARMINGTON HILLS, MICH.--The concrete industry’s Strategic Development Council (SDC) announces the release of its Building Information Modeling (BIM) Strategic Plan for review and use by those in the industry.
The Strategic Development Council, a council of the American Concrete Institute’s (ACI) ACI Foundation, began working on the Strategic Plan in late 2009. The project was sponsored by, and received grants from, the Charles Pankow Foundation and the RMC Research & Education Foundation.
The Plan calls for five goals, championed by several different concrete organizations, some of which have already begun implementation of the Plan in various areas:
- Goal 1: Geometry – championed by ACI’s 131 Committee, Building Information Modeling of Concrete Structures
- Goal 2: Reinforcement – championed by the Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute’s BIM Task Force and the Post-Tensioning Institute
- Goal 3: Concrete Materials – championed by the National Ready Mix Concrete Association
- Goal 4: Project Management – championed by the American Society of Concrete Contractors
- Goal 5: Formwork – championed by ACI’s 131 Committee, Building Information Modeling of Concrete Structures and 347 Committee, Formwork for Concrete
SDC describes the ultimate goal of the BIM Strategic Plan as the eventual development of IFCs for cast-in-place concrete that can become part of a National BIM Standard (NBIMS) by the National Institute of Building Sciences.
Bob Risser, a longtime SDC participant and president of the Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute (CRSI) championed this SDC initiative.
“The effort put forth by members of the Strategic Development Council to conceptualize and create this BIM Strategic Plan will make a significant impact for all stakeholders in the concrete industry in regards to Building Information Modeling,” said Risser. “This Plan will help assure that the design and construction of concrete structures takes full advantage of the technological advances that are occurring today.”
Also an integral part of the creation of the Plan are members of SDC’s Accelerated Implementation Team of Peter Carrato, Bechtel Corporation; Daniel Cuoco, Thornton Tomasetti; David Grundler, Applied Systems Associates; William Klorman, W. M. Klorman Construction Corporation; Colin Lobo, National Ready Mix Concrete Association; Brad Malmsten, Thornton Tomasetti; William Shebetka, Baker Concrete Construction; and Phillip Williams, Webcor.