Bentley Systems and Trimble have committed to leveraging construction modeling for the benefit of capital, industrial and infrastructure project delivery. Aspects of construction modeling include modeling of temporary works, intelligent positioning, "splitting and sequencing," detailing for fabrication, workface planning, construction work packaging, and support for distributed construction—referencing and supplementing design modeling deliverables.
Bentley and Trimble will each contribute to construction modeling advances by pooling resources for product development through:
- sharing schemas across design and construction applications to ensure that constructible models maintain semantic fidelity
- leveraging i-models for construction deliverables to and from the companies' respective software and hardware, when used together in project delivery
- joining forces to advance standards, for instance the Open Geospatial Consortium's "intrinsic geo-context" down to construction levels of detail;
- leveraging in certain cases common modeling software for virtual and physical alignment; for instance, Trimble uses Bentley software technology to provide intrinsic 3D geo-context for Trimble Field Link
Benefits realized thus far from Bentley and Trimble construction modeling advances include:
- facilitating accurate information mobility between vertical building, plant design and the construction site by enabling engineers to create intelligent field data in Bentley Navigator, manage those point sets in ProjectWise and securely deliver them to Trimble Field Solutions via Trimble Field Link, creating high fidelity positioning points between the construction model in the design office and positioning devices in the field
- saving time, reducing rework, preserving design intent and accelerating project delivery via the seamless transfer of information from concept through construction; this results from the new link between the Trimble Quantm Alignment Planning System and OpenRoads, which extends the detailed design-to-construction workflow for heavy civil alignment to encompass the corridor planning and value engineering processes, complete with change management and tracking
- providing contractors the greatest flexibility in performing field layout tasks and enabling the construction of higher-quality buildings by accepting Bentley's i-models in Trimble Field Link to enhance information mobility.
- responding to the "Every Day Counts" challenge of the U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration by enabling terrain and alignment to be taken directly from Bentley's OpenRoads technology for multi-discipline civil engineering into Trimble's Business Center - HCE office software and then sent directly to its Site Positioning Systems and Grade Control Systems - information mobility "from BIM to bulldozer."