At 49 tons, the new 359-hp PC490L Ci-11 hydraulic excavator is the largest 3D semi-automatic construction-sized excavator available today.
“Many of our customers have been enjoying the precision, versatility and efficiency of the PC210LCi-10, and have been asking us to scale intelligent machine control technology to a larger-sized excavator,” said Jason Anetsberger, Komatsu America senior product manager. The result is the PC490LCi-11 “Whether you are mass excavating, trenching or fine grading, the PC490LCi-11 will help increase productivity and efficiency, while removing the burden and worry of over excavation. All the operator has to worry about is keeping the bucket full."
Intelligent Machine Control features a unique sensor package, including stroke sensing hydraulic cylinders, an IMU sensor, and GNSS antennas. The machine utilizes 3D design data loaded into the monitor to accurately display machine position relative to target grade. When the bucket reaches the target surface, automation kicks in to limit over excavation.
- Auto Grade Assist - As the operator moves the arm, the boom adjusts the bucket height automatically, tracing the target surface and minimizing digging too deep.
- Auto Stop Control - During boom and bucket operation, the work equipment automatically stops when the bucket edge reaches the design surface, minimizing design surface damage.
- Minimum Distance Control - The machine controls the bucket by automatically selecting the point on the bucket closest to the target surface. If the machine is not facing a sloped surface at a right angle, it will still follow the target surface and minimize digging below it.
- Facing Angle Compass - The orientation of the facing angle compass’ arrow shows the operator the facing angle, relative to target surface. This allows the bucket edge to be accurately positioned square with the target surface.
- Realistic 3D Display - The machine and design surfaces are shown in realistic 3D. The angle and magnification of the views can be changed, allowing the operator to select the optimum view, depending on work conditions.
- Control Box - The Intelligent Machine Control monitor uses a large 12.1 screen for visibility and ease of use. The simple screen layout displays the necessary information in an easily understood fashion. A touch screen icon interface simplifies operation.
Other performance features include:
- 359-hp SAA6D125E-7 11.04-liter, Tier 4 Final engine
- Up to 13% productivity improvement via increased hydraulic flow in Power Mode
- Up to 7% more arm crowd force and bucket digging force when the one-touch Power Max function is engaged
- KOMTRAX level 5 technology feeds the operator machine data, such as fuel and diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) levels, Komatsu Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), regeneration status, location, cautions and maintenance alert information
- Covered by the Komatsu CARE program for the first three years or 2,000 hours