The Next Generation Cat 374 excavator offers high production, twice the structural durability and up to 20% less maintenance costs than its popular predecessor, the 374F.
“The 374F has been a core machine for us, so we wanted to make sure that we didn’t do anything to drastically change it, but we wanted to improve it," noted Ryan Neal, Cat market professional, while addressing members of the construction press during a virtual press event. This includes doubling the structure durability in the front linkages of the machine and increasing the base frame and counterweight mounting plate thickness on the frames.
“These [machines work] in hard conditions, nasty elements, and the machine has to be durable," he emphasized.
Booms and sticks are also twice as strong as those on the previous model. Booms have increased top and bottom plate thickness and sticks have increased side, bottom and bracket plate thickness. Further reinforcements are built into the car body, track link, track rollers, and boom, stick and bucket cylinders.
To enhance productivity, the 374 includes a dedicated swing pump to aid multifunction capability and provide 10% more swing torque, Neal pointed out.
The new dedicated hydrostatic swing circuit enables regenerating swing brake energy and independent management of cylinder oil flow. “What that means for owners and operators is higher operating efficiency and smoother, more predictable performance when multitasking with the excavator,” said Brian Abbott, worldwide product manager, Cat large excavators.
Other features include:
- Power, Smart and ECO operation modes
- Cooling system with on-demand fan and available auto reverse function
- Standard Cat Payload, upgradeable Cat Grade with 2D, Lift Assist, 2D E-Fence Auto Hammer Stop and Cat Product Link
- Options include Work Tool Recognition and Bluetooth-based PL161 Attachment Locator
- Air filter with integrated pre-cleaner and primary and secondary filters
- Hydraulic return filter offer a 3,000-hour service life and fuel system filters are synchronized for service at 1,000 hours
- Ground level access to fuel system water and sediment drains and hydraulic system oil level check
- Deluxe or Premium cab options come standard with front-facing control panel, keyless pushbutton start, and large touchscreen monitor with jog dial keys
- Optional 360° visibility package combines images from multiple cameras to enhance the operator’s sight lines in all directions