Chevrolet continues Detroit's trend in offering diesel powered half-ton pickup trucks with fuel economy that rival some sedans.
The diesel engine powering the Chevrolet 1500 Silverado is a 3.0L six-cylinder turbo-diesel that pumps out an SAE-certified 277 hp and 460 lb.-ft. of torque. This is the first diesel offered in Chevrolet’s light-duty trucks since 1997, and the brand’s first-ever inline-six configuration for full-size, light duty trucks.Chevrolet
“The engine utilizes state-of-the-art technologies to optimize every drop of fuel, and takes advantage of architectural changes to make Silverado larger, lighter and more aerodynamic than before,” says Tim Herrick, Silverado executive chief engineer.
The 3.0L Duramax is designed with iron cylinder liners in a lighter-weight aluminum engine block, forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods and blended silicon/aluminum pistons for greater heat resistance and reduced expansion.The truck draws on innovative technologies to deliver impressive fuel economy and a refined customer experience.
- Inline-six engine is inherently balanced for low noise and vibration: 84 mm x 90 mm bore and stroke, dual-overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder;
- New active thermal management system warms up propulsion components more quickly to improve efficiency;
- Tow-haul mode's exhaust brake gives drivers confidence, especially when towing downhill;
- Driver-selectable engine stop/start mode improves fuel economy by shutting off the engine in stop-and-go driving. Engine automatically restarts when the driver steps off the brake;
- 3.0L Duramax is exclusively paired with a Hydra-Matic 10L80 10-speed automatic transmission, featuring smaller gear steps and an overall larger ratio spread to enable peak efficiency. Intelligent controls adjust to the driver’s needs for smooth operation and aggressive response.Chevrolet
The Duramax 3.0L turbo-diesel marks Chevrolet’s fourth diesel truck in the available lineup, joining the Colorado, Silverado HD and Silverado Medium Duty. The new diesel option completes the all-new Chevrolet Silverado 1500 propulsion portfolio, which provides maximum customer choice through eight trims paired with six engine/transmission combinations. The 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel is available on the LT, RST, LTZ and High Country trims. For the LTZ and High Country, the 3.0L Diesel is a $2,495 option, identical to that of the 6.2L V-8. For the LT and RST, it is a $3,890 increase over a 2.7L Turbo engine.