Tariffs on $7.5 billion worth of European Union (EU) goods entering the U.S. are set to go into effect starting October 18.
The United States Trade Representative (USTR) recently released its Final Product List of items which will be subject to tariffs. Agricultural products, aircraft components and clothing are among the vast majority of the goods on which tariffs will be placed.
However, there are some heavy-duty mobile equipment products set to be tariffed, as well. The Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM) says member companies doing business with the EU should carefully review the entire list from USTR.
Sections of the USTR list AEM feels is most relevant to its membership includes:
Part 11 – Products of Germany described below are subject to additional import duties of 25 percent ad valorem -
- 8201.40.60 Axes, bill hooks and similar hewing tools (o/than machetes), and base metal parts thereof
- 8203.20.20 Base metal tweezers
- 8203.20.60 Pliers (including cutting pliers but not slip joint pliers), pincers and similar tools
- 8203.30.00 Metal cutting shears and similar tools, and base metal parts thereof
- 8203.40.60 Pipe cutters, bolt cutters, perforating punches and similar tools, nesoi, and base metal parts thereof
- 8205.40.00 Screwdrivers and base metal parts thereof
- 8211.93.00 Knives having other than fixed blades
- 8211.94.50 Base metal blades for knives having other than fixed blades
- 8467.19.10 Tools for working in the hand, pneumatic, other than rotary type, suitable for metal working
- 8467.19.50 Tools for working in the hand, pneumatic, other than rotary type, other than suitable for metal working
- 8468.80.10 Machinery and apparatus, hand-directed or -controlled, used for soldering, brazing or welding, not gas-operated
- 8468.90.10 Parts of hand-directed or -controlled machinery, apparatus and appliances used for soldering, brazing, welding or tempering
- 8505.11.00 Permanent magnets and articles intended to become permanent magnets after magnetization, of metal 8514.20.40 Industrial or laboratory microwave ovens for making hot drinks or for cooking or heating food
- 9002.11.90 Objective lenses and parts & access. thereof, for cameras, projectors, or photographic enlargers or reducers, except projection, nesoi
Part 13 – Products of Germany or the United Kingdom described below are subject to additional import duties of 25% ad valorem -
- 8429.52.10 Self-propelled backhoes, shovels, clamshells and draglines with a 360 degree revolving superstructure
- 8429.52.50 Self-propelled machinery with a 360 degree revolving superstructure, other than backhoes, shovels, clamshells and draglines
- 8467.29.00 Electromechanical tools for working in the hand, other than drills or saws, with self-contained electric motor
AEM continues to engage with Congress and the Trump administration to let them know the tariff escalations harm U.S. consumers and businesses.