In an effort to meet the industry's demand for skilled and knowledgable decorative and polishing contractors, the Concrete Polishing Association of America (CPAA) launched a new and expanded certification and training program in 2013. The new programs continue to include both classroom and essential hands-on training, exposing the student to various types of equipment, tooling, and chemical products on the market today. Each course is designed to build on the Craftsman's knowledge base toward a Master Craftsman Certification.
The next course, Craftsman Level 1, will be hosted by GranQuartz, Beltsville, M.D. on Wednesday, March 19 – Thursday, March 20.
The Craftsman, Level I certification program is a classroom and hands-on training program followed by a certification exam. After passing the exam each student will be sent a Craftsman, Level I certificate; Craftsman, Level I patch; CD containing business tools; and CPAA supporting t-shirt.
PREREQUISITE: Individuals applying for this course must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Tradesman Introduction Certificate
- 980 hours of actual on-the-job experience or a minimum of 12 completed polished concrete projects, the references of two CPAA supporting member manufacturers, and signed affidavit form along with the course registration submission.
Individuals completing this course must demonstrate, through a comprehensive written exam and skills practice exam, basic operational knowledge of the following topics:
- Proper industry terminology/definitions
- Equipment used for concrete polishing
- How to match equipment and diamond tooling to the concrete substrate to achieve the specified polish
- Chemistry of densifiers and stain protectors
- Diamond abrasive design and construction
- Using the diamond abrasive to achieve maximum refinement
- Understanding the theory and recognizing maximum refinement
- Understanding safety hazards within the concrete polishing industry
- Introduction to basic safety hazards related to concrete polishing and project management.
The cost to attend is $1,050 for CPAA members and $1,850 for non-members. Class fees will include a light breakfast and lunch both days; class materials and take home supporting materials. For questions, please email: email@example.com or visit http://www.cpaa-us.org/classes.php.