Ford Motor Company is issuing four safety recalls in North America for select vehicles for potential lack of seat restraint in the event of a crash. Ford is not aware of any accidents or injuries associated with any of these conditions.
Ford is issuing a safety recall for:
- Certain 2018-20 Ford F-150, 2019-20 Ford F-Series Super Duty, 2018-19 Ford Explorer and 2019-20 Ford Expedition vehicles with a manual driver and/or front passenger seat-back recliner mechanism, and
- Certain 2020 Ford Explorer and 2020 Lincoln Aviator vehicles with rear outboard seats with manual seat-back recliner mechanisms.
Affected vehicles may be missing the third pawl required for seatback strength. A seatback with an improperly assembled recliner mechanism may have reduced strength and may not adequately restrain an occupant in a crash, increasing the risk of injury.
This action affects 483,325 vehicles in the United States and federal territories, 58,712 in Canada and 8,149 in Mexico.
Dealers will inspect seat structures and replace them if needed, with most expected to pass inspection. Owners of affected vehicles will be notified starting October 7.
Affected vehicles include:
2018-20 Ford F-150 vehicles built at:
- Dearborn Assembly Plant from Sept. 14, 2018, to Aug. 7, 2019, and
- Kansas City Assembly Plant from Sept. 11, 2018, through Aug. 2, 2019
2019-20 Ford F-Series Super Duty vehicles built at:
- Kentucky Assembly Plant from Sept. 9, 2018, through July 22, 2019, and
- Ohio Assembly Plant from Sept. 11, 2018, through July 17, 2019
2018-19 Ford Explorer vehicles built at Chicago Assembly Plant from Sept. 9, 2018, through March 3, 2019
2019-20 Ford Expedition vehicles built at Kentucky Assembly Plant from Oct. 16, 2018, through July 24, 2019
2020 Ford Explorer vehicles built at Chicago Assembly Plant from Nov. 21, 2018, through Aug. 21, 2019, and
2020 Lincoln Aviator vehicles built at Chicago Assembly Plant from April 12, 2019, through July 16, 2019.
Dealers will inspect the seat structure of affected vehicles. Most vehicles are expected to pass the inspection and not require repair. If a repair is required, the dealer will replace the seat structure. There will be no charge to the customer for these services.
The Ford reference number for this recall is 19C07.