“The Ford Atlas Concept previews the innovations that will transform what people expect from their pickup,” said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development. “With 36 years as America’s best-selling pickup, we are absolutely committed to setting the agenda in the truck market.”
Design with purpose
According to J Mays, Ford group vice president and chief creative officer, the concept truck reflects how Ford trucks help customers both professionally and personally. "Every surface and feature in the vehicle has been crafted for purpose and capability while retaining an unmistakable Built Ford Tough look,” he stated.
The Atlas Concept features prominent wheel arches, a wide stance and chiseled grille. Designers enhanced functionality, while creating new advanced features (see infographic here). For example, multiple tie-down points are integrated within the cargo box walls and load floor, along with 110-volt electrical outlets in the cargo box to charge power tools. An integrated roof carrying system and hidden extendable ramps give the truck functionality for a variety of jobs.
The interior is equipped with thin, lightweight leather seating with extra legroom for rear passengers, along with integrated storage for smaller items. “Floating” instrument pods and glove-friendly buttons and controls keep the interior functional and stylish.
Leading fuel efficiency
The Atlas Concept includes a next-generation EcoBoost powertrain, which introduces truck-enhanced Auto Start-Stop engine shutoff technology. Auto Start-Stop shuts off the engine when stopped in traffic to save fuel, and suspends the feature when the truck is towing.
EcoBoost engines use gasoline direct injection and turbocharging to deliver fuel economy gains of up to 20% and reduction of CO2 emissions of up to 15%, compared with larger-displacement engines.
Further fuel savings are achieved through a combination of active aerodynamic elements that reduce wind resistance. They include:
- Active Grille Shutters: Automatic shutters behind the grille stay open when extra engine cooling is needed, such as during low-speed stop-and-go driving or while working in hot weather. The shutters automatically close to improve aerodynamics when cruising on the highway at steady speeds.
- Active Wheel Shutters: Automatic shutters in the wheels are hidden to improve style at rest and low speeds, but automatically close at highway speeds to improve aerodynamics. Self-charging batteries use energy from the wheels’ motion to power the shutters.
- Drop-Down Front Air Dam: A drop-down front wind spoiler lowers at highway speeds to improve underbody airflow. The air dam is raised at low speeds to improve ground clearance, helpful for off-roading.
- Power Running Boards: Auto-deploying running boards help passengers enter the truck at rest and tuck up against the truck when it is moving to improve aerodynamics and ground clearance.
The combination of these features saves more than 2 mpg on the highway without diminishing towing or hauling capability.
Work and play smarter, not harder
The Atlas Concept showcases features that improve capability, durability and productivity to meet the diverse needs of pickup truck owners. Features include:
- Dual-Purpose Tailgate Step and Cargo Cradle: The Ford Tailgate Step goes a step further by adding the ability to also act as a cargo cradle – lifting and holding extra-long cargo items above the truck and freeing valuable bed space.
- Trailer Backup Assist: This feature allows drivers to back a trailer with the twist of a knob.
- Dynamic Hitch Assist: Dynamic Hitch Assist helps precisely line up the truck’s hitch with the trailer coupling, showing visual cues in the truck’s center display screen.
- 360° Point-of-View Camera: The system gives a bird’s-eye view of the truck to help position the vehicle in tight places or when there are obstacles near the truck.
- LED Headlamps and Taillamps: Advanced LED lighting offers better road illumination than conventional halogen or HID lights and lasts longer. LED lamps also offer near-instant response, giving extra warning time for following traffic.
- LED Cargo Box and Side Mirror Lighting: Advanced LED lighting brightly lights the cargo box and jobsite after the sun goes down, with minimal battery drain compared to standard headlights or plug-in lights.
- Hidden Cargo Ramps: Lightweight, durable loading ramps stowed below the cargo box can be quickly removed and set up to assist with loading wheeled items into the bed.
Soundbites: Ford Atlas Concept
Technical Specifications for Ford Atlas
Length: 238 in.
Width: 88 in., without mirrors
Height: 81 in.
Wheelbase: 150 in.
Track: 78 in.
Next-generation EcoBoost with Auto Start-Stop optimized for trucks
Six-speed SelectShift automatic, Auto Start-Stop system
Wheels and Tires
22-in. alloy wheels
All-Terrain LT325/50R22 tires
Cargo Cradle Weight Capacity
55,000-psi high-strength steel ladder frame
High-strength steel including boron