GMC says it is completing its move into the “premium off-road space” by making its AT4 package available across the entire GMC retail lineup of trucks and SUVs in 2020. With the addition of the first-ever 2021 Terrain AT4, Canyon AT4 and 2021 Yukon AT4, GMC is poised to double its AT4 offerings.
Introduced on the 2019 Sierra, AT4 was created as a unique persona that offers credible capability while maintaining premium everyday comforts. AT4 variants distinctively combine off-road capability, innovative technology and bold design, along with GMC’s premium refinement to practically complement an authentic outdoor lifestyle. Core AT4 design includes premium rugged exterior details, featuring black chrome grille, fog light surrounds and rear appliques, as well as unique authentic aluminum interior decor and premium fabric colors.
Standard content on the Sierra AT4 includes:
- 2-in. factory-installed suspension lift
- Standard 4WD with a two-speed transfer case, locking rear differential and skid plates
- Off-road-tuned Rancho monotube shock absorbers
- 18-in. wheels with all-terrain tires or available mud terrain-rated Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tire (20-in. wheels with all-terrain tires available)
- 5.3L V8 engine
- Hill Descent Control
- Traction Select System
- GMC MultiPro Tailgate
- Available carbon fiber bed
Most-recent trailering charts available (for the 2019 models) show the Sierra 1500 AT4 with factory 2-in. lift only gives up 100 lb. of towing capacity to the other crew-cab, standard-box four-whee-drive Sierra 1500s. Produced with 3.23 axle ratio, that gives the AT4 variant a max trailer towing capacity of 9,300 lb. Models with the 3.42 rear end will tow 11,300 lb.
GMC says customer response has established that AT4 is a clear winner, with the trim level playing a huge role in Sierra sales growing 14% year-over-year in 2019. Initial Sierra AT4 data suggest buyers are adventurous, affluent, highly active and younger than the average light-duty full-size pickup truck buyer. They are attracted to GMC’s premium features with a more aggressive, athletic design that provides the ability to go off-road with authentic capability. AT4 models are engineered to add an extra level of capability and technology tailored to customers’ wants and needs. Professional Grade engineering highlights of the other AT4 vehicles include:
- Sierra HD AT4 features an off-road suspension, skid plates, Rancho shocks, a standard MultiPro Tailgate and up to 15 innovative camera views that helps benefit not just trailering, but visibility over rough terrain and in tight corners.
- Acadia AT4 features an Advanced Twin-Clutch AWD System for increased capability on mixed surfaces, All-Terrain tires and Traction Select with Off-Road Mode.
- Canyon AT4 comes standard with off-road tuned suspension, an automatic locking rear differential and 31-in. Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires.
- Yukon AT4 offers air suspension with 4 in. of adjustability, an electronic limited-slip differential and a 15-in. head-up display.
- Terrain AT4 will feature a rugged exterior, confident capability and advanced technology.