In celebration of the 2013 America Recycles Day on Friday, November 15, the AGC Environmental Forum is issuing its first-ever annual used hard hat recycling challenge to AGC members. Old hard hats can fade, turn brittle and compromise workers’ safety. Let us see how many old and unsafe hard hats we can retire and recycle within the next three weeks.
Recycling your hard hats is as easy as five simple steps:
- Make the commitment.
- Set up a collection bin(s) and get the word out to your coworkers.
- Identify a recycling facility near you.
- Bring your collected hard hats to a recycling facility.
- Let AGC know how many hard hats your company has recycled.
AGC will identify members participating in the challenge and announce the total number of hard hats recycled in celebration of America Recycles Day.
Are you interested in taking the challenge? Here is how it works. Send an email to AGC’s Melinda Tomaino at [email protected] with your commitment. Contact recyclers you routinely use to see whether they accept hard hats. If they do not, see below for a listing of directories or websites where you can find recycling companies. After you have collected and recycled your hard hats, circle back to AGC’s Melinda Tomaino at [email protected] so we can report on how many hard hats members have recycled. Be sure to take some photographs of your efforts.
Having trouble finding a recycler? Here are a few websites that may help you out:
- America Recycles Day http://americarecyclesday.org/
- I Want To Be Recycled www.iwanttoberecycled.org
- Earth 911 http://search.earth911.com/
- The Construction Industry Compliance Assistance Center, Construction and Demolition Debris State Resources Locator http://cicacenter.org/solidregs.html
- Construction and Demolition Recycling Association (mostly C&D material and waste recycling) http://www.cdrecycling.org/find-a-c-d-recycler