Spalling or deterioration of reinforced concrete does not inevitably signal the end of concrete structures. With Cortec’s High Performance Repair System (HPRS), it is possible to greatly reduce a structure’s corrosion rate and extend useful service life. Cortec’s highly durable, multi-functional, and compatible protection systems maximize the concentration of Migrating Corrosion Inhibitor (MCI) molecules for the most effective repairs. HPRS utilizes a special sequence to maximize performance of MCI in concrete repairs.
- This process begins with base surface preparation to remove all spalled, loose, and deteriorated concrete.
- Rust on exposed rebar is eliminated with VpCI-426 rust remover or treated with CorrVerter Rust Primer.
- Two coats of anti-corrosion MCI grout are recommended on any exposed rebar or metal, followed by the application of various MCI repair mortars to the concrete structure.
- Once the repair mortar is cured, MCI-2020’s powerful formula is sprayed, brushed, or rolled on in order for MCIs to penetrate through concrete and attach to and protect the surface of embedded reinforcing steel.
- After sufficient absorption, other materials such as coatings or water repellents may be applied on top.