On Sunday, April 12, 2015, the American Concrete Institute (ACI) recognized over 100 professionals, groups, and companies for their outstanding contributions and dedication to ACI and the concrete industry. Awards were presented during The Concrete Convention and Exposition Opening Session and Awards Program, in Kansas City, Missouri.
The Awards Program began with the induction of Honorary Members, ACI’s highest honor, which recognizes persons of eminence in the field of the Institute’s interest, or one who has performed extraordinary meritorious service to the Institute. The following five individuals were inducted as Honorary Members: Charles W. Dolan, Peter H. Emmons, David P. Gustafson, Karl-Heinz Reineck, and Thomas D. Verti.
ACI also inducted new 50-Year Members, and recognized these 23 individuals for maintaining their membership and participating in ACI activities for at least five decades. Next, ACI honored 37 Fellows for their outstanding contributions to the production or use of concrete materials, products, and structures in the areas of education, research, development, design, construction or management. Go to Awards at www.concrete.org for a complete listing of the Honorary Members and Fellows that were honored.
The evening concluded with the presentation of the following medals and awards that recognize exemplary achievement, groundbreaking research, and service to ACI and the concrete industry:
- ARTHUR R. ANDERSON MEDAL- Kamal Henri Khayat
- ROGER H. CORBETTA CONCRETE CONSTRUCTOR AWARD- Phillip Williams
- JOE W. KELLY AWARD- Catherine E. French
- HENRY L. KENNEDY AWARD- Emmanuel K. Attiogbe, Cecil L. Jones
- ALFRED E. LINDAU AWARD- James R. Harris
- HENRY C. TURNER MEDAL- Claude Bédard
- CHARLES S. WHITNEY MEDAL- James K. Wight, Gustavo J. Parra-Montesinos, Cary Kopczynski
- CEDRIC WILLSON LIGHTWEIGHT AGGREGATE CONCRETE AWARD- Dale P. Bentz
- ACI CERTIFICATION AWARD – W.L. “Bill” Barringer, Donald Penepent, Luke M. Snell
- ACI YOUNG MEMBER AWARD FOR PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENT- Matthew P. Adams, Danielle D. Kleinhans, Bryan M. Birdwell
- WASON MEDAL FOR MOST MERITORIOUS PAPER- R. Douglas Hooton, Chris Rogers, Carole Anne MacDonald, Terrence Ramlochan
- ACI CONSTRUCTION AWARD- Timothy M. Montgomery, Liying Jiang, Mathew R. Sherman, Douglas Schlagel
- WASON MEDAL FOR MATERIALS RESEARCH- Rajaram Dhole, Michael Thomas, Kevin J. Folliard, Thano Drimalas
- CHESTER PAUL SIESS AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN STRUCTURAL RESEARCH- Sungjin Bae, Oguzhan Bayrak
- ACI DESIGN AWARD- Hassan Aoude, William D. Cook, Denis Mitchell
- DELMAR L. BLOEM DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD- Randall W. Poston, Carol K. Shield
- CHAPTER ACTIVITIES AWARD-Abebe Dinku Belay, Vivek Bhaskar Gadgil, Tammy Meldrum, Michael L. Willman
- WALTER P. MOORE, JR. FACULTY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD- Aleksandra Radlinska
- CHAPTER AWARDS—CITATIONS OF EXCELLENCE
- ACI AWARD FOR UNIVERSITY STUDENT ACTIVITIES
- EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES COMMITTEE SPEAKER OF THE YEAR
- DISTINGUISHED ACHIEVEMENT AWARD - Concrete Promotional Group, Inc.
Learn more about each of the awardees listed above at www.concrete.org.
The next Concrete Convention and Exposition will be held at the Sheraton, Denver, Colo., November 8-12, 2015. Throughout The Concrete Convention and Exposition, ACI will hold over 300 committee meetings, 30+ technical sessions, an industry trade exhibition, networking events, and more. To learn more please visit www.concrete.org.