FARO Technologies, Inc. announces the release of FARO Trek, a fully autonomous 3D mobile scanning integration built in collaboration with the Massachusetts-based robotics firm Boston Dynamics. The solution combines the cutting-edge scanning speed and accuracy of the FARO FocusS Laser Scanner with Spot, a quadruped robot capable of remote and autonomous data capture in challenging environments.
Suited for general contractors and construction managers to verify production and quality on jobsites, Trek leverages Spot’s Autowalk feature to create a repeatable automated scanning workflow. This allows for streamlined data collection and improved efficiency. The information collected is the same each time, ensuring enhanced analysis and reporting. Autowalk automates the inspection process after operators initially program the route walking alongside the robot. Relying on sophisticated sensors, Spot is then able to repeat that same route autonomously, and even makes minor adjustments to complete the job.
“Reality capture has become more critical to on-schedule project delivery than ever before,” said Brian Ringley, Boston Dynamics’ Construction Technology Manager. “The FARO Trek integration provides customers with the ability to document true as-built conditions of their site in a repeatable fashion. Because this high-frequency point cloud data collection is automatically aligned relative to project control points and BIM coordinate systems, it’s easier than ever to maintain a continuously updated digital twin.”
- Designed for remote user operation and autonomous sensing
- Uses a series of integrated sensors to understand dynamic environments and avoid obstacles or people
- Enables data-rich reality capture via an automated experience
- Future applications will allow autonomous capture of 3D laser scans in hazardous, confined spaces and low-oxygen environments
- Lightweight, compact FocusS Laser Scanner enables users to capture fast, accurate measurements of complex objects and buildings, includes a built-in 8-megapixel HDR camera and offers a 4.5-hour battery per charge