Volvo Construction Equipment offers an attachment kit that allows 14-ton excavators to be converted into rotating pipelayers, providing a simple solution for users who don’t want to buy a dedicated pipelayer and who have been using conventional excavators for the work.
“The pipelayer attachment kit is aimed at customers placing pipe in cities and municipalities where space is at a premium. Our 14-ton excavators are the right size for this type of work, so pairing the kit to these machines made sense,” said Todd Cannegieter, product manager, Attachments and Special Applications, Volvo CE. “If you’re not lowering in pipe regularly, it can be hard to justify the investment in a dedicated pipelayer or side boom. We wanted to give customers another option.”
The rotating pipelayer kit fits the company's conventional14-ton crawler excavators, the EC140EL and ECR145E. The short-swing radius ECR145E can perform pipelaying work on busy two-lane streets while leaving one lane open for traffic, making it suited for pipelaying in urban areas. This pipelayer configuration also gives the ECR145E the same lifting capacity as its standard excavator counterpart, the EC140EL.
- Pipelaying boom simply attaches to excavator's main boom, converting from excavator to pipelayer (or vice versa) in about one hour
- Safely handle pipes up to 20 in. with a rated load of 7,300 lbs. (3.3 tons)
- Max working height of 24 ft. and max working depth of 50 ft.
- Models equipped with the kit can be readied for transit in minutes with no crane or extra people required
- Rotating superstructure solution means no need to constantly reposition the unit's tracks
- Load Moment Indicator ensures safe operation up to a 10° slope by monitoring load weights and sending audio and visual alerts
- Standard anti-two-block system