With its intrigue over EPA diesel testing settled, Ram brings a third-generation 3.0-liter EcoDiesel to the 2020 Ram 1500 rated at 260 hp and torque increased 14% to 480 ft.-lb. The redesigned diesel reaches peak torque at 1,600 rpm, while the previous generation of the engine peaks 400 rpm earlier. Horsepower (an 8% increase) peaks at 3,600 rpm.
The Ram brand's parent, FCA US, in January reached final settlements on civil, environmental and consumer claims with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Justice, the California Air Resources Board and other public agencies. The automaker agreed to pay $400 million in civil penalties in the dispute over diesel emissions testing.
The new EcoDiesel lifts the light-duty 2020 Ram 1500 pickup's towing capability 13% to 12,560 lbs.
The 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is available in all models and configurations including a first-time offering in the Ram Rebel. It will go on-sale in the fourth quarter of 2019. Pricing and fuel economy ratings will be announced closer to the truck’s on-sale date.
Several changes contribute to the third-generation EcoDiesel’s improved power, economy and noise, vibration and harshness (NVH):
- New-generation water-cooled, variable-geometry turbocharger increases efficiency and throttle response
- Redesigned cylinder-head intake ports improve swirl and flow, increasing performance and fuel economy
- Adding a low-pressure loop to the exhaust gas recirculation minimizes turbocharger energy losses by drawing gases after the diesel particulate filter
- Compression ratio optimized to 16.0:1, from 16.5:1
- High pressure (29,000 psi) direct-injection fuel injector nozzles redesigned for the newly optimized combustion chamber
- Aluminum-alloy pistons redesigned for thinner rings and low-friction coating on the pin and side skirts to reduce losses
- Offsetting piston pin by 0.3 millimeters from the centerline, minimizes NVH
- Lower portion of the two-piece oil sump uses a lightweight sandwiched polymer/metal material that reduces NVH
- Dual vacuum pump system uses electric and a new mechanical low-friction pump to improve efficiency
“The all-new EcoDiesel engine and our eTorque mild-hybrid powertrain technologies deliver the highest available fuel efficiency for our Ram 1500 customers," says Reid Bigland, head of Ram Brand.
The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 uses dual overhead camshafts (DOHC) with four valves per cylinder and a 60-degree angle between the cylinder banks. The block is cast with compacted graphite iron, which provides strength to dampen vibrations but weighs less than grey cast iron. A compacted graphite iron bedplate adds rigidity to the block.
The EcoDiesel V-6 uses a forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods for strength and durability. The aluminum alloy pistons are cooled on the underside via oil jets. Heat-treated aluminum cylinder heads use individual bearing caps to reduce friction and minimize NVH. The chain-driven overhead camshafts employ roller-finger followers.
The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 is produced at the FCA Cento facility in Ferrara, Italy.