The Cat 304.5E2 XTC mini hydraulic excavator is the first model in the Xtra Tool Carrier (XTC) lineup. Built on the E2 platform, the unit has an innovative skid-steer coupler interface for added versatility and work tool integration.
According to Greg Worley, senior project engineer, mini hydraulic excavator product group at Caterpillar, the 304.5E2 XTC provides all of the benefits of a traditional compact excavator with the extra advantages of tool carrier capabilities. "Basically, we're taking our 4-ton excavator and making it far more versatile than we ever have before," he states. "The XTC machine has a skid-steer coupler interface. You can put an MP bucket, GP bucket and a whole host of other work tools on this machine to enable you to get your application done quicker, smarter and more efficiently.
"It's not a skid steer... It can't load into a truck," he acknowledges. "But as far as an MP bucket goes... anything a skid steer can do with an MP bucket at ground level, this machine can do. It can't do it quite as fast, but it does it just the same."
The manual coupler allows for use of compact loader tools including: general-purpose bucket, multi-purpose bucket, forks, dozer blade, brooms, power box rakes and trenchers. Coupler operation is controlled through a flick of the XTC switch on the right hand console in the operator station, then the standard right-hand joystick becomes your loader.
The 304.5E2 XTC improves productivity in material carrying applications, and allows for reduced backfilling times. Due to the addition of the compact loader coupler interface, multiple applications may be achieved at a single jobsite with a single machine. This offering also improves efficiency of machine transport.
- 40.2-hp Cat 2.4 diesel engine
- 8,655- to 8,996-lb. operating weight
- 26.4-gpm hydraulic pump flow
- 123-in. dig depth (standard stick) and 8,498-lbf. bucket digging force
- Incorporates E2 series features including automatic two-speed, 100% pilot controls, optimal bucket rotation, blade float, Cat interlock system, automatic swing brake, COMPASS monitor and more
- Mechanical or hydraulic quick coupler for the excavator front linkage a thumb-ready stick is standard