Gradall Industries introduces two new Discovery Series hydraulic excavator models, the D172 and D174, that are bigger, more muscular and more productive than the previous D152 and D154 models. The new models benefit from a 36% increase in horsepower as well as greater torque to increase travel speed, hill-climbing capability and overall productivity.
Developed in collaboration with Freightliner, Discovery Series models are designed to deliver budget-priced Gradall excavator versatility doing work frequently performed by governments and specialty contractors.
- Discovery D172 features a two-wheel-drive Freightliner undercarriage and the D174 has a four-wheel-drive version
- Telescoping, full-tilting boom provides a 25-ft. reach, can rotate attachments 220° and has a low-profile design to enable work under bridges and in tunnels
- Roomy upperstructure with all-electric joystick controls, heating and air conditioning and in-cab switch to choose from Gradall, Deere or SAE joystick pattern
- 300-hp Cummins 6.7-liter engines enable travel speeds up to 60 mph
- Lower rpm when operating engine from the upper cab reduces fuel consumption and noise.
- Incorporate a new suspension and tires for a solid, stable ride and greater axle capacity and more counterweight to enable use of rail gears, snow plows and other XL Series model attachments
- Compact, tight tailswing allow for ditching and grading work along two-lane roads with only minimal traffic flow interruption
- Feature front axle lockout cylinders and do not require outriggers even when working at either side or to the rear of the machine
- Advanced Bosch Rexroth-designed hydraulic system with pressure-compensated, load-sensing valves with reliefs on all circuits
- Freightliner M2 chassis day cab has two air ride seats, Bluetooth capability, an automotive-style flat dash with easy-to-read LED backlit gauges and controls, adjustable steering column, electric-powered windows, dual reading lights, radio and advanced heating and air conditioning systems