The National Asphalt Pavement Association (NAPA) honored the winners and finalists of its 2014 Operational Excellence Awards at a special ceremony during the association’s Midyear Meeting in Denver.
“The five Operational Excellence Award categories — Asphalt Operations Safety Innovation, Community Involvement, Ecological, Outstanding Brochure, and Outstanding Website — recognize asphalt pavement industry leaders who are excelling at the operational practices that make for good neighbors and successful businesses,” says Jim Mitchell, chairman of the Awards Committee.
The 2014 winners and finalists honored during the ceremony are:
- Asphalt Operations Safety Innovation Award Winner: Lakeside Industries Inc. of Issaquah, WA, for Custom-Fitted Hearing Protection
- Asphalt Operations Safety Innovation Award Winner: Payne & Dolan Inc. of Gladstone, MI, for a Break-Away Paver Guide Bar
- Community Involvement Award Winner: Pennsy Supply Inc., an Oldcastle Co. of Harrisburg, PA
- Community Involvement Award Finalist: Barrett Paving Materials Inc. of Watertown, NY
- Community Involvement Award Finalist: Silver Star Construction Co. Inc. of Moore, OK
- Community Involvement Award Finalist: Tilcon New York Inc., an Oldcastle Materials Co., of Wharton, NJ
- Ecological Award (Existing Plant) Winner: Duval Asphalt Products Inc. of Jacksonville, FL, for Plant 2
- Ecological Award (New Plant) Winner: Commercial Asphalt Co. of Maple Grove, MN, for the Blaine Minnesota Plant
- Outstanding Brochure Award Winner: L.L. Pelling Co. Inc. of North Liberty, IA, for its “Iowa Rides on Us” brochure
- Outstanding Website Award (Producer Member) Winner: Louisville Paving & Construction Co. of Louisville, KY, for www.loupaving.com
- Outstanding Website Award (Associate Member) Winner: Garrett Paving Co. Inc. of Athens, GA, forwww.garrettpavingcompany.com
- Outstanding Website Award (State Asphalt Pavement Association) Winner: Texas Asphalt Pavement Association of Buda, TX, for www.texasasphalt.org
- Outstanding Website Award (SAPA) Finalist: Minnesota Asphalt Pavement Association of New Brighton, MN, for www.AsphaltIsBest.com
- Outstanding Website Award (SAPA) Finalist: Wisconsin Asphalt Pavement Association of Madison, WI, for www.wispave.org
The Operational Excellence Awards honor leaders in the asphalt pavement industry for innovation and excellence in marketing, communications, and community outreach with the Community Involvement, Outstanding Brochure, and Outstanding Website Awards. Companies also are lauded for their responsible practices with the Asphalt Operations Safety Innovations and Ecological Awards.
The Operational Excellence Awards are a counterpart to NAPA’s annual Quality in Construction Awards, which recognize asphalt paving jobs completed in line with best practices and standards known to yield high-quality asphalt pavements.
The NAPA Awards Program recognizes and encourages continuous improvement in all aspects of paving and asphalt operations. The 2015 NAPA Awards program is now accepting nominations. Quality in Construction Award nominations are due by Oct. 9; Operational Excellence Award nominations are due by Dec. 4.
For more information about the NAPA Awards program, or to nominate a project or company for an award, visit AsphaltPavement.org/Awards.