McCarthy Building Companies, Inc. one of the nation's oldest and largest privately-held construction companies, was honored this week with a 2011 Training Magazine Top 125 Award . The award was presented during the Training 2011 Conference & Expo in San Diego, Calif., recognizing the top companies based on excellence in employer-sponsored training and development programs. A first-time applicant, McCarthy placed 112th on the prestigious list.
"While many companies are cutting back on training in the current economic climate, McCarthy continues to expand our focus on employee development," explained McCarthy Chairman and CEO Mike Bolen. "This commitment ensures our builders remain at the forefront of the construction industry."
Lorri Freifeld, editor-in-chief of Training magazine added, "The 2011 Training Top 125 application focused on tying training to achievement of strategic corporate goals and showing demonstrable results. Congratulations to the 2011 winners, who continue to blaze new paths in training design, development, delivery, and measurement."
Founded as a family owned business almost 150 years ago, McCarthy is one of the largest 100% employee-owned companies in America today. The firm has long fostered a culture dedicated to continuous improvement, and "Learning" represents one of McCarthy's six company Core Values .
While a formal McCarthy Training Program had been in place for decades, McCarthy formally launched an entirely revamped training program in 2008 under McCarthy Build U. Core tenets of McCarthy Build U include:
- A shared commitment on the part of each employee to begin their training and development on (or even before) Day 1;
- A belief that in addition to full-time professional trainers on staff, all employee-owners, from Chairman/CEO down, is a trainer who has valuable knowledge to share;
- A focus on blended training vehicles, including instructor-led programs, self-paced online training, hands-on experience simulations and on-the-job training, makes the program truly comprehensive;
- A well defined development path with significant flexibility based on personal needs;A development philosophy based on the notion of a two-way street.
- McCarthy will provide every tool and opportunity for learning and the employee must actively take control of their career and development.
McCarthy Building Companies, Inc. is one of the nation's oldest and largest domestic general contractors. More information about the company is available online at www.mccarthy.com .